Editing System Information to Bypass System Requirements?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
Editing Hardware Identification to Bypass Application System Requirements?

I have a Powermac G5 2.3ghz dual-core, running as a server to my other Macs. I connected an EyeTV Hybrid with the intention of streaming live TV over my LAN/Internet.

Eyetv 3.5 is a universal application, but requires an Intel Mac to use the Live Streaming feature. Assuming the entire application is written in universal binary (including the Live Streaming Feature), how can I "fool" EyeTV into thinking it is running on an Intel Mac? Would editing the file used to compile the information found in "About This Mac" work, or do applications gather system information independently?

It doesn't make sense that a single component of an application would be Intel-Only when everything else is Universal Binary. I believe PowerPC was excluded for performance reasons. Although it is a very old machine, it was one of the fastest PPC macs and has alot of RAM- it can't possibly be much slower than some of the original CoreDuo Macs. I'd like to see if it can actually stream live TV, granted that there is a solution to my question.

Thank you in advanced for any insight you can provide.

Sidenote- I have tried using CyTV (An app designed for streaming EyeTV on PPC macs), but it hasn't been developed in years, and doesn't work properly when streaming to a modern mac.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
720 views and nobody has any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
720 views and nobody has any ideas?

Those "views" are from the hits provided by Google and other search engines, not just what our forum members are viewing. Be patient, your question is not something most folks are going to be familiar with.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Since both OS X and the EyeTV software are closed source, there really isn't much you can do to fool anything. If the application fails to run on your system because it needs an Intel Mac, that's pretty much it. They are probably using a OS X Core API to figure out what machine they are running on and unless you can hack the Core API to provide some new information, you're out of luck..

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Thought I had posted a couple days ago.

I am thinking that the streaming component could well be Intel only.
I have an EyeTV hybrid from '07-'08 and am pretty sure the live streaming was not available at that time at all - and on my Intel machines.

According to ElGato - EyeTV 3.5 and above are Intel only, with 3.4.3 being the last Universal version.
I'd have to go back and do a bunch more digging - haven't kept up with all their stuff, but, am thinking 3.5 was where they intro'd the streaming.
Could be that was just the one for streaming to iPhone or iPad though.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Eyetv 3.5 is a universal application, but requires an Intel Mac to use the Live Streaming feature.

You have a G5 Powermac...not an Intel Mac. Therefore the Live Streaming Feature will not work on a G5 Powermac. If an Intel Mac is what is required to use the Live Streaming Feature...then you need an Intel Mac.:)

It's somewhat similar to someone asking..."How can I fool my Powermac G5 to run an Intel Only game?" If the system requirements say you need an Intel Mac...you need an Intel Mac.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.