time machine disk failed

Reaction score
I have been using an Iomega !TB USB external hard drive as my time m/c disk. It has recently not worked, Finder no longer shows the drive, I added to a windows laptop and it can't see it either.

Disk Utility only seems to see my hard drive and another storage drive that is not the time m/c drive

When I try to 'enter timemachine' I see a message saying saying back up disk can't be found.

When I choose set up a disk I saw the symbol of the drive I was using with a subscript saying zero kb but wasn't able to choose it, only cancel or remove. So I chose to remove and now don't see it at all when repeating the earlier steps.

When I choose the option Other Time capsule and set up AirPort utility starts looking for devices on the internet.

Any suggestions?

rgds
Chilts

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If I remember correctly, as far as Disk Utility is concerned a Time Machine drive is just another hard drive. Once you went to Time Machine setup and chose the remove option it no longer sees the drive as a Time Machine drive.

Try the following and see if this helps. It should not mess things up more than they are at the moment.

1. Launch Disk Utility and select the problem drive.
2. Let Disk Utility verify the drive and repair any problems.
3. Assuming any errors are successfully repaired go back to Time Machine and tell it to use the drive again.

BTW Choosing "Other Time Capsule" is what is causing the network activity looking for other devices. It's not looking for another Time Machine backup it is looking for a Time Capsule (piece of network hardware).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In addition to the advice by member Slydude.... according to your post it appears the iOmega 1 TB drive may have failed. If it's not being picked up by the Finder and your Windows machine can't see it either, it is indicative of a problem drive.

Go ahead and use Disk Utility as you were advised and let us know the results. I believe iOmega warrants their drives for 3 years so if it has failed and is still under warranty, iOmega will issue a RMA.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
chscag;1510517 .. according to your post it appears the iOmega 1 TB drive may have failed. If it's not being picked up by the Finder and your Windows machine can't see it either said:
Why didn't I notice that. I knew I wasn't on my game today.

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks for the replies.

I do think myself it's a disk issue.

Re Slydudes first post, disk utility couldn't see the disk even before I "removed" it in Time Machine.
As i mentioned my laptop doesn't read it nor does finder. I'll contact Iomega.

thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.