Connecting to Cinema Display

Reaction score
Hi all

I have Googled for advice but there are many different opinions on this (one even told a guy to order the wrong cables) so I thought I'd post on her to see what information I can pick up.

I have a Macbook Mid 2007 running OS X Lion 10.7.5 with a 256GB SSD and 4GB RAM installed (3. something usable)

I am looking at an Apple Cinema Display 23 inch (M9178LLA) on eBay. It's pick up only and close to me, which is in the middle of nowhere so I'm hoping to get it cheap :)

Specification for the display is here: Apple Cinema Display (20-, 23-, and 30-inch DVI) - Technical Specifications

1. Is it possible to connect an Apple TV to this display? If yes could someone link what cable I need please? Mini DVI to DVI/HDMI adapter or any other?

2. if this is possible how would I get the audio set up? I have a Bluetooth Sony speaker which I link up to my Macbook when playing iTunes so could I use this?

3. Would I be able to set up ATV with Audio on the Cinema Display WITHOUT needing to use my Macbook?

Hope someone can help

Kind regards
Raff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
On the face of it the answer is no, you can't use an Apple TV connected to that cinema display.

The Apple TV can out to 1280 x 720 (720p - versions 2 & 3 ) and 1920 x 1080 (1080p - version 3).

Neither resolution matches the supported resolutions on the cinema display.

That's going by the specs. Even if you could get a signal to display the audio poses another issue. You have optical out or you'd need to take the HDMI into a splitter to give you separate video and audio.

Something like this, then use an HDMI to DVI cable to connect and a 3.5mm audio jack to the aux in on your speaker (if it has one).

But what you have there is a fairly pricey wiring nest..... assuming the video works at all.

Bottom line, the AppleTV is aimed squarely at the TV/Home AV market and has outputs suitable for that. Connecting your Mac to the cinema display and speakers would be the path of least resistance

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for that mrplow. I think I'll still buy the display as it's such a low price, then have a 'mess around'. I can always resell the display.

Many thanks again for the great advice.

Regards
Raff

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think I'll still buy the display as it's such a low price, then have a 'mess around'. I can always resell the display.

That's the spirit! Give it a shot...if a no go...sell it!:)

If you don't already have one...you could also use the Apple Cinema Display as an external monitor with your MacBook Pro.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.