I got a virus!

Reaction score
So I got a mailer daemon AND an email from one of my own accounts to another. I access my email only from my imac, iphones, iPads, or mactop.

I deleted the email, but is there a way to know what's what? I'm not stupid, just ignorant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
No, you don't have a virus.

If emails are being sent from one of your email accounts and you're not the one who sent them, then the problem is with your email account security. Someone guessed or hacked their way into your email - this is a Gmail, Yahoo!, Hotmail etc. etc. problem. Not a computer problem. So change your password(s) and make the answers to your security questions something unusual and not obvious - i.e. "What was your first car?" Answer: "A dolphin".

OP
C
Reaction score
Yeah, a friend just told me the same thing. I logged into Yahoo. About 10 minutes or so ago, I was hacked from Sri Lanka.

Am changing passwords and questions, but stopped to type this.

Good idea on the questions.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Online accounts are very easy to hack, that's why the 2-step authentication that Google is using and lot of others are deploying is great to ensure you don't hacked. Also using password managers like 1Password to generate very strong passwords (for EVERYTHING) goes a long way of keeping your information/accounts safe and secure..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm going to step in and re-iterate the value of 2-step authentication. I use it here with Google, Facebook & Dropbox and would highly recommend it. Sometimes it can be a bit of a nuisance when using another computer but that small bit of nuisance is worth it.

Also note that Apple and Microsoft are starting to roll it out so if you use services from either of those two, you'll want to look into each of their offerings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.