moving downloads to document sub-folders

Reaction score
Hi -
I have a large no. of downloaded documents in the download area and would now like to move them to the various sub-folders that I have created in the 'documents' folder.

How can I do this? The easiest way would be to simply drag/drop them from the download area into the appropriate folder, but the sub-folders of 'documents' are not visible (even in column view) in the finder window.

Is this not possible with the Mac OS? Do I really have to individually copy/paste and then go back and delete (there is not even a cut/paste option). I guess I could save each downloaded doc into the correct folder at the time of download, but drag/drop would be easier.

I have tried the help but although it says I can drag/drop files into folders, it is not clear how - or even whether - this can be done from download folder. Thanks.... gillyb

OK - in case someone else is having the same issue - with a lot of trial and error I have just found out that I can select 'documents' > GO (on finder toolbar) > enclosing folder - (or right click and then "open enclosing folder") - and (only when) in 'list' view, I can drag drop, so problem solved. All a bit complicated - much simpler to be able to see all folders and sub-folders in the one main window.

Would be nice to see it in the Finder Help...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Gillyb - new to OS X myself (MBP about 3 weeks & iMac on order) and trying to learn the OS and a little bit about the 'terminal' (the move, i.e. 'mv', command works but I'd hate to use it for multiple files into different sub-folders). But when looking at 'Finder', I also tried to re-create the appearance seen in Windows Explorer (WE) but to no avail - don't know if there is an app that can mimic WE, but hopefully some of the 'seasoned veterans' here will come along w/ suggestions. Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
5 Alternatives to Finder: LINK I personally use muCommander which is very similar to the old "Norton Commander" that most of us remember from our Windows days. You won't find anything that closely resembles the Windows File Explorer, but then OS X is not Windows. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
@gillyb just drag and drop from your Download Area to your Sub-folders that you have created.

The sub-folders will possibly be viewable from your Documents Folder in Finder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5 Alternatives to Finder: LINK I personally use muCommander which is very similar to the old "Norton Commander" that most of us remember from our Windows days. You won't find anything that closely resembles the Windows File Explorer, but then OS X is not Windows. ;)

Thanks for the link - the article is from August 2009 - so described programs are likely upgraded, new ones have probably appeared, and of course the Mac OS has changed - there must be some newer options to consider? Just doing a quick google search brought up a few, including PathFinder ($40 - Yikes!), XFile ($60 - YIKES!), and ForkLift 2 ($20 - not bad!) - have not studied the features closely and there are probably others to consider - BUT, looking forward to further comments - thanks all. Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No need for another tool. Just open 2 Finder Windows. Open the first - size it to fit half the screen on one sdie - open a New Finder window in the 'File' menu at the top. Open each window to the folders you want and move away via drag and drop.

Screen Shot 2013-04-18 at 6.49.39 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Bobtomay - just gave your suggestion a try, i.e. two Finder windows opened on the same screen - certainly an acceptable option for a limited number of transfers - not sure about having a bunch to do to different sub-folders? Plus, only one window is active, so a little frustrating - BUT, a good choice! Thanks - Dave

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Only one window is active - yes - but when you drag a file from one to the other, it does allow you to drop the file there.

If all your sub-folders are in the Documents folder, then you only need to open the documents folder.
If you're using sub-sub-folders, then none of them are going to be adequate.

I do/have had several of the others from PathFinder to muCommander and like chscag, use muCommander for the above, but most things can be done within Finder using the springloaded folders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The 2 Finder windows is the most obvious solution.

For third parties I'd go with Total Finder. Cmd+U changes the finder window into a dual pane window each with it's own side all active. It also has tabs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

Yes, that's the key here. For veteran Windows users switching to Mac, having two windows open probably seems odd. To an old Mac hand like me, it's just normal and logical.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

For third parties I'd go with Total Finder. Cmd+U changes the finder window into a dual pane window each with it's own side all active. It also has tabs.

Thanks All & Mrplow - DL Total Finder as a trial - just a plugin to Finder, so not a new app to open - the dual panel option seems to do what I want, but still exploring - I've got 14 days before a purchase option - will explore further - Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also give XtraFinder a try. It too has dual windows and some other nice options like tabs. The nicest thing about is it's free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
With the 2 finder windows side by side, which IMO is the best and easiest way, use something like BetterTouchTool to easily resize the windows….

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.