Smashed iPhone 4s Screen

Reaction score
I dropped my iPhone 4s last night and when I picked it up the screen was smashed.

I have checked and the warranty has just ended for the phone.

I checked the Apple Out-Of-Warranty service today and it is £139 to have it replaced at Genius Bar.

It says it's £179 for iPhone 5. Does anyone know if I could pay the £179 for the iPhone 5 as I hear the screen is less prone to cracking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Welcome to the forums. . . .
haha sorry to giggle but I'm sure you read it wrong, as you will not get a iP5 from Apple UK for £179. I just looked on their site and the starting price is £529 or £25.38 with financing.
And i also wouldn't say that the iP5 screen is less prone to smashing. I admit that i have seen less smashed iP5 screens, but not less prone. Glass, is glass and glass breaks.
It costs $230 AUD for me to get a screen replaced in Aust for a iP5 by Apple and $110 for the bloke down the road. I would still go to the bloke down the road as he still offers 3-6months warranty on screen and everything working that is connected to the screen. Im sure in the UK there is "The bloke down the road) still a professional that could probably do it for cheaper and because he is a Pro he should offer a warranty as well. . . .
Something to think about, but yeah, you are not going to buy a iPhone5 from Apple UK for £179

Cheers

OP
C
Reaction score
Out-of-Warranty Service
If you own an iPhone that is ineligible for warranty service but is eligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) Service, Apple will service your iPhone for the Out-of-Warranty Service Fee listed below.
Please note Out-of-Warranty Repair Service fees from your carrier may be different than those listed below.
iPhone Model Out-of-Warranty Service
iPhone 5 £*186.44
iPhone 4S £*146.44
iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS,*
iPhone 3G, Original iPhone £*126.44

The*Out-of-Warranty Service Fee includes a £*7.44 shipping fee, which applies only if service is arranged through Apple and requires shipping. All fees are in British pound sterling*and include VAT. iPhone Out-of-Warranty Service may also be available from your wireless carrier. Pricing may vary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
^^^^^ That is all well and fine, but still it doesn't say that you can buy a iP5 for £179. If you have a iP5 and its out of warranty then the OOW Fee is the price you are talking about £179 incl VAT but not shipping. Look here again and it says BUY a iPhone5 for starting price £529.
How do you get that you can buy the iPhone5 for £179 when what you showed me is talking about OOW ??

PS if you buy a iP5 for £529 and it runs out of warranty and you need it to be fixed then you can pay Apple £179

OP
C
Reaction score
I don't know if I can, that's why I'm asking the question.

I know if I take my broken iPhone 4s in, I can have it replaced for another iPhone 4s for £139 as they don't carry out repairs but just offer replacements.

What I was just wondering is if I took my iPhone 4s in, would I be able to pay the difference for an iPhone 5 replacement.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Once again, the answer is No.

OOW provides service on the OOW device you own.
There is no provision there to upgrade your device.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.