How do I upgrade from iPhoto 8.1.2 to be able to use Photo Stream?

Reaction score
This has been more than frustrating! I bought a new(er) MacBook Pro, running Mountain Lion which I learned I needed to have installed to use iCloud to stream my photos and videos from my iPhone. This computer has an earlier version of iPhoto installed (8.1.2). I installed the 9.4.3 upgrade, and the message said I needed 9.1. I Installed it and the message said I needed to have 9.0 installed before I upgrade to 9.1. I cannot find a download for 9.0 anywhere, nor can I find any correct documentation anywhere to tell me how to do this. Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
This has been more than frustrating! I bought a new(er) MacBook Pro, running Mountain Lion which I learned I needed to have installed to use iCloud to stream my photos and videos from my iPhone. This computer has an earlier version of iPhoto installed (8.1.2). I installed the 9.4.3 upgrade, and the message said I needed 9.1. I Installed it and the message said I needed to have 9.0 installed before I upgrade to 9.1. I cannot find a download for 9.0 anywhere, nor can I find any correct documentation anywhere to tell me how to do this. Help!

Version 9.4.3 is not an "upgrade" to iPhoto... it's an "update" for iPhoto 9. Ditto for 9.1. You can't apply updates for version 9 to version 8 or older software. Ditto for updates to version 8.... they can't be applied to versions 7 and older. This is typical of most software. You will need to buy the current version of iPhoto off the Mac App Store.

That's very strange that your "newer" MacBook came with iPhoto 8. That was released in 2009 and iPhoto 9 was released in 2010.

C

chas_m

I think he means "new to him," and consequently I suspect he bought it from someone who failed to a) remove their old software and b) never bothered to upgrade it much either.

OP
B
Reaction score
Yes, Chas,this computer is "new" to me although not new. It is a mid-2010 version, practically unused, so the previous owners never upgraded any of the apps. So, basically if I just buy the newest version of iPhoto, or the iLife package which includes iMovie and Garage Band, then it should install without problems or needing previous versions? Should I uninstall 8.1.2 before I install the new one?

Also, as per the "note" I do not have any anti-virus or cleaning software installed nor do I have MacKeeper. This is a mid-2010 MacBook Pro, 4G Memory, 500 GB hard drive, running the latest version of Mountain Lion 10.8.3

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Buying the iLife package or iPhoto separately (if that's all you need) will solve the problem. You don't have to remove the old version in order to install the new one. You might also wish to take a look at other applications the previous owner left on the machine. Anything that was licensed to him and if he did not leave you with the original disks and serial numbers, will have to be replaced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Mac Pro 8 core 2.66 GHz, 960 GB SSD, 2.5TB H/W RAID 6 array, Apple 30" Cinema HD display + 24"
iLife '11 bundle no longer for sale

iLife '11 is no longer available as such. Apple no longer offers the disc with the bundle of iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb and GarageBand. The first three are available separately on the Mac App Store. The last two are not available at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.