Maps........location problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5"iMac, 2.5 GHz i5, 4GB
I have an iPad 3 running latest software. Whenever I want to use Apples map app or for that matter Google maps via Google website. My location is always shown as somewhere in Israel. I have location services turned on. As I live in Albany Western Australia I find this ludicrous. I might add that I had the same problem with an iPad 1 at a former address but still in Albany. When I use Google maps on my computer I don't have this problem. It seems linked to the iPad location service. To prove that this is not a one off I did the following. If I leave location services turned off then use Google maps and sign in with my Google account. I am asked if I would like to use my current location. When I agree the map shows Israel again.
Any help would be appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about the settings on your Mac? What does that show? And do you have your country and time zone set correctly?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All settings on my 2011 iMac are correct. Have been using macs since 2001.As I pointed out in my original post. Using Google maps on the iMac presents no problems. It finds Albany my home town straight away.
I also must add that my wife's iPad displays the same behavior both with using Apples own map App. or using Googles mapping service.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It is strange that your iMac shows the correct location but yet both your and the wife's iPad are way off. Are your iPads the WiFi models only or do they both have cellular capability? The reason I ask is, it suggests the error is being generated by whoever is providing GPS service to your iPads.

Both my iPad 3 and iMac (2011) show my exact location right down to my street address here in Texas.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you using a proxy by any chance? If so, this would certainly explain why it is independent of any service and why it only affects the iPad.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reply to vansmith. Not using proxy. I use Samsung smart phone and it has no trouble with location to my street address. Both iPads are WiFi only. Router is a wireless "D-Link"

Cheers

C

chas_m

what about alternate DNS numbers? Any chance of that? OpenDNS, Google DNS etc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
have you tried turning location services off and then turning them back on?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.