cd keeps ejecting on it own

Reaction score
Hello

I am new here and would like some help please. I recently purchased an imac from a company that went bust. It is not very old but out of warranty. The problem is that cd's and dvd's just eject all by themselves no matter what. This is my first mac and the only problem that I am having with it, I am sure there is a simple solution, or is it something more sinister? any comments would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Neville

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
obvious question I know and I don't want to come over in the wrong way, but you are putting them in the right way - label facing towards you?

Reaction score
Also it helps if you put: What imac, what operating system (see under my name), what have you tried?

OP
J
Reaction score
obvious question I know and I don't want to come over in the wrong way, but you are putting them in the right way - label facing towards you?

Hi, yes I did actually wonder what way so I tried both ways and it does not make any difference, although I did think label facing me was the correct way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Sometimes a simple cleaning with compressed air or a lens cleaner will fix the issue.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Do you hear the CD spinning once inserted or does it go in and virtually immediately get spit out? I imagine a dirty lens to have a hard time reading any CD and indicating an error..

Try a couple of things:
Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

From source
From the Finder menubar click on GO
If you see the choice of Library, click it
If you do not see the word Library, hold down the option key.
Choose Library.

Find the Preferences folder. (Not the Preferences Panes)
Find the CD Info.cidb file and drag it to the desktop
Close all the windows
Reboot
Try putting in a blank CD now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If the compressed air trick does nothing, suggest the optical drive has failed. Slot loaders do have a high failure rate. Suggest purchasing a Samsung SE-208 and a four port USB hub. The Samsung will use the two USB connectors to draw power from the hub and does not require mains power.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.