New iMacs

Reaction score
Im thinking that the NEW Intel processor thats rumored this year (June or so) The Haswell processor looks to be more targeted to portables with improved built-in graphics. More suited to MBP then iMac per se.

The current model 27" selling still looks pretty good. If Apple was able to ship the 6 core i7 extreme at or close to the current price point by WWDC, it would be worth the wait.

But, outside of improved clock speeds or more cores, I cant see to much thats compelling to wait for a product refresh.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
I just bought a 27" iMac and couldn't be happier.

I've always been of the opinion that if you get hung up on or wait for the next upgrade you'll either never buy anything or you'll always be unhappy with what you've got.

OP
S
Reaction score
I would tend to agree, in my case however if waiting for mid summer would mean cutting my render and transcoding times by 50% id be up for it. Thats my bottom line . Do you edit video on your iMac? If so what software etc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
I see your point.

No video editing for me - some photo work but it's essentially a family computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The current model was released in December and became available only in January/February. Cannot see an update coming out for well over 12 months.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just is just my opinion but based on Anandtech tests over many years of new Intel CPU releases, I doubt the next Intel Release will cut your Render times by 50%. Maybe 10% or 15% but it might not even be that dramatic. 50% usually takes a lot of change that takes a couple of releases or so from all the testing that I and others have done.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Been using my new 27" iMac for Photography and some light video editing. A heck of a lot better than using a 13" MBP. XD

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The current model was released in December and became available only in January/February. Cannot see an update coming out for well over 12 months.

I agree. It will likely be even a longer period of time between the next refresh of the iMac than it was the last time.

OP
S
Reaction score
Just is just my opinion but based on Anandtech tests over many years of new Intel CPU releases, I doubt the next Intel Release will cut your Render times by 50%. Maybe 10% or 15% but it might not even be that dramatic. 50% usually takes a lot of change that takes a couple of releases or so from all the testing that I and others have done.

Your right on a core by core basis, what I was wondering is weather Apple could make a deal with Intel to lower the cost on a 6 core i7 extreme. Its not likely based on revenue problems Intel is having.....oh well. I think we will see something soon, but I don't expect it will blow my socks off. Apple is currently suffering from a hardware lull and a lack of dynamic leadership.

Sigh.......

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Your right on a core by core basis, what I was wondering is [whether] Apple could make a deal with Intel to lower the cost on a 6 core i7 extreme. Its not likely based on revenue problems Intel is having.....oh well. I think we will see something soon, but I don't expect it will blow my socks off. Apple is currently suffering from a hardware lull and a lack of dynamic leadership.

Sigh.......

Not sure about the "hardware lull" but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
LOL seymour.

Share price is still great which bis important to shareholders.

C

chas_m

seymour's right that there hasn't been any new hardware announced thus far in 2013, but he's wrong as can be about dynamic leadership.

In any event, there's very little chance IMO that the iMac would move to a six-core anytime soon, and even if that happened there's no guarantee that it would cut your rendering times significantly.

I don't expect to see the iMac updated again this year, in fact. Now if Tim Cook hadn't explicitly promised a new Mac Pro (or replacement of the Mac Pro with something entirely new), maybe I could go along with your prediction.

But if Apple is actually going to (as I believe they will) produce a PRO machine that is aimed strictly at PROs (and priced accordingly, I should add!), then they will want to differentiate it from the consumer line, and upping the iMac to workstation class isn't the way to do that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.