iCloud calendar

Reaction score
my boss share's his work calendar with me via iCloud so that I can add/edit appts for him. I do this in the Calendar and when I do so, I usually set up an alert to email him at a specific time. like this morning he had a meeting at 10am that I set up an email alert for 2 hours before 10am. however, the email was not sent until I turned my computer on at 9:30. is there a way to have the email sent, or some other type of alert, when my computer is off?

edit: just in case, I'm on 10.8.3

OP
dnbreaks
Reaction score
I just thought it might have a chance to do that via email in iCloud.... how about just regular popup alerts? the only way I've figured out how to have these show up is to set up the alert via iCloud instead of in Mac Calendar

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Do you mean that you are having to go to the iCloud web interface to set these alerts? If so, I think you could set up a calendar on your Mac specifically for this purpose. Enter the alerts there, then sync that calendar with the other Mac via iCloud. That way you do not need to use the iCloud web interface to create the alert.

Another option might be to use the calendar publishing feature though it has been a while since I looked into the requirements for that.

OP
dnbreaks
Reaction score
yes, I did mean using the iCloud web interface. the calendar in question is my boss' and he shared it with me. so in my Mac Calendar app it shows up along with the rest of my cloud calendars

If so, I think you could set up a calendar on your Mac specifically for this purpose. Enter the alerts there, then sync that calendar with the other Mac via iCloud.
How is this done? What alert type of alert is being used?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I think what Slydude is getting at is quite simply this: create an event on your Mac with the appropriate alerts setup. Then, sync that to iCloud. The alerts should be synced to iCloud. Then, when an alert is triggered, the email should be sent from iCloud regardless of whether or not the machine is on. Since I don't use iCloud, you may want to test that first before going "live."

Worst case, if this is feasible, use an alternative calendaring service (I find it hard to believe that iCloud can't do this though).

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have not tried the e-mail notification aspect but have used iCal in conjunction with iCloud/Mobile me. Before my Mac Pro died I used iCal to sync a calendar between an iPad MacBook and Mac Pro, I could create an alert in iCal on one computer and have it appear on the others at the appropriate time. I never bothered to try to send an e-mail but I think that is possible.

@Vansmith Thanks for translating my gibberish so well. Are they including that as a foreign language in Canada now?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
@Vansmith Thanks for translating my gibberish so well. Are they including that as a foreign language in Canada now?
Jibberish? Yes they are. There's this small place where they speak it a lot and we feel the need to learn it. I think people call it Parliament. ;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ROTFL. We have that here too. It seems to have spread throughout the land. Beware, there are people called politicians who seems to have taken advanced degrees in the subject.

OP
dnbreaks
Reaction score
I have a test appt set up for tomorrow morning that has an email alert set up on Mac Calendar. The alerts are now syncing to the iCloud interface calendar, but instead of being an email alert (not even an option) it is just an alert. The only thing I changed was turning on the mail option in iCloud in system pref. Will see how it works, but my guess is it will just be a pop up alert on the boss' iPhone

OP
dnbreaks
Reaction score
It appears the pop up alerts are working/syncing, but the email alerts still do not send unless I have my computer on. Looks like iCloud needs some revamping if contacts, calendar, and mail aren't talking to each other.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.