Lost many of my Safari bookmarks.

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
I was trying to reorganize them by dragging /dropping a folder of saved links in the "All Bookmarks" view when I got an error message telling that they were syncing and I couldn't do that. When I went back two folders of links were missing. I found bookmarks.plist in my library/safari folder, but can't find it in Time Machine (Library folder is hidden and the normal tricks in Finder don't seem to work in TM).

Ideas? I have over a couple hundred links I've collected and really need to recover them.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I don't know about Time Machine. My suggestion is for after you get your bookmarks back.

Download another browser. Export your bookmarks from Safari and import them into the other browser. It will function as a back up for you. Periodically do the export-import routine to keep the back up current. I know this will work with Firefox, not sure about Chrome, et. al.

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
But no one knows how to recover them?

Reaction score
Click on your Time Machine drive in Finder. Work your way to /Users/yourname/Library/Safari in the latest backup (not the one that says "Latest", the latest dated one).
Or the one just before you did this. Copy bookmarks.plist to your user folder on your boot drive. Put it in your current Library/Safari. Should be ok to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you navigate to ~/library/safari and then open Time Machine, does that work? (note you need to launch TM from the dock)

Alternatively you can try Easyfind it's free and can earch your hard disk or TM backup, including hidden files.

If you find what you're after make sure you copy the file not move it.

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Problem is that the library folder is hidden and the normal tricks that you would use in Finder to unhide it don't work in TM. That said, I typed bookmarks.plist in the search window and it was odd which ones TM would elect to show...eventually by moving around in time I was able to find one that was real close to the one I needed. Not as intuitive as I'd hoped but eventually worked.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Problem is that the library folder is hidden and the normal tricks that you would use in Finder to unhide it don't work in TM.

That's why I suggested what I did. Regardless, glad you got them recovered

Reaction score
Is your ~/Library folder visible in your user folder? If you want it to be, open a Terminal and type:
sudo chflags nohidden ~/Library/
Input your login password (you wont see any input but it's there). It should also show up on your Time Machine drive.
Here is mine, no problem finding things. This is my backup drive in Finder, Not Time Machine app.

Screenshot_4_19_13_1_22_PM.jpg

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is your ~/Library folder visible in your user folder? If you want it to be, open a Terminal and type:
sudo chflags nohidden ~/Library/
Input your login password (you wont see any input but it's there). It should also show up on your Time Machine drive.
Here is mine, no problem finding things. This is my backup drive in Finder, Not Time Machine app.

I did that, but it didn't unhide the ~/library in TM (until then I left it hidden because I knew I could get to it with the option key)

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's why I suggested what I did. Regardless, glad you got them recovered
Problem is your suggestion did not work for dates prior to unhiding the ~/library folder

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The terminal command should have worked. Once the user library has been made visible, it will appear in all of your apps including Time Machine.

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then please tell that to my iMac because it fails to listen to me :)

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, now I'm getting really cranky. I've "restored" my bookmarks.plist more than once and then when I go back the folder I'm looking for is gone again. What in the H&^%# is going on? I am getting so tired of the "it just works" crap...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
What folder are you looking for? Where are you looking?

I love a good mystery! ;)

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a sub-folder in my Bookmark bar. I keep restoring the bookmarks.plist and it keeps reverting back so some version without it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Problem is your suggestion did not work for dates prior to unhiding the ~/library folder

I suggested using easyfind and launching TM from the dock......

As far as the folder reverting..... Do you have iCloud Safari syncing enabled?

It sounds like you are having the older plist being overwritten by the newer cloud version.

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It sounds like you are having the older plist being overwritten by the newer cloud version.

I think you're right. How do I stop that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you syncing Safari to iCloud?

If so, turn off Safri syncing in System Preferences iCloud. Restart your Mac.
Restore your file. Add a new bookmark to your sub folder, just to ensure there's new data there.

Now turn Safari syncing back on.

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now it's gotten goofier. Before when I went through Time Machine I found several versions of bookmarks.plist with different dates. Now I can only find one dated 11 April which does include the missing stuff.

Why is Time Machine now not showing me the older files?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.