locking individual emails-Mail

Reaction score
Hi all. We can Flag emails etc in Mail, but is there any way to lock individual emails. Reason being as more and more invoices are coming by email I worry that they may get deleted before I have paid them.Thanks for any suggestions ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Gday and welcome to the forums. . .

I think what might help you immensely is to set up Smart MailBoxes. You can read more here. I use these to sort all my iTunes Receipts, All Tracking of packages, Mail from DVA (department of Veteran Affairs), so basically all my important stuff so i don't miss any and delete by mistake before reading.

HTH

Cheers

PS If you don't have ML 10.8, and you have another version OS, just use Google Smart MailBox Apple and your Version OS and it will bring up the KB article for your OS

OP
F
Reaction score
Thx Tattoo, tried that but if deleted from inbox also gets deleted from smart mailbox at same time.

Cheers

C

chas_m

Well yes. If you delete an email, it no longer meets the criteria of the Smart Mailbox (ie, must exist).

Smart mailboxes are NOT the same as regular mailboxes, and in fact aren't mailboxes at all -- they are saved searches, filtered views if you like, of all mail in any mailbox that meets your programmed criteria (such as "all email from this year that is still unread" for example).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Use rules instead of smart mailboxes.

While your Inbox is highlighted in the side bar, head to:
Mailboxes - New Mailbox - Location: On My Mac - Ex: Amazon

Then when you get an email from Amazon - highlight the email and head for:
Preferences - Rules - Add Rule - I name the rule same as the Mailbox created above.
It should look like the below - if the email you want to create the rule for is highlighted, when you change the "to" to "from" the from address is automatically added for you.

Now all receipts, bills, invoices, spam or whatever are all in one place and will no longer clutter your inbox nor get deleted by mistake.
This is also an excellent way of dealing with email from places (like Amazon) that sends out a lot of spam which you don't necessarily want to see all of it, but you don't want to unsubscribe from either.

As you see below I have an Amazon subfolder for their receipts - so all the adverts (spam) go in the main mailbox while all their receipts go in the receipts folder.
Some places, like Amazon, have multiple email addresses used.
After you've created the rule and you receive a 2nd email that should go in that Mailbox - highlight it - head back to Preferences - Rules - highlight the Amazon rule and choose Edit. That will auto add the highlighted email to the rule.

Remember, you need to create the Mailbox before you create the rule.

Screen Shot 2013-04-17 at 5.29.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-04-17 at 5.38.59 AM.png

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
When you find the list of Mailboxes getting rather long, I have combined multiple items altogether into a single rule.

All the spam I get that I don't want to unsubscribe from goes into a single Mailbox - Misc Junk
One called Financial - for all the spam that comes from the CC companies, so that stuff goes into a different box than their statements...

One warning though - after you get lazy checking all those spam boxes - I think between Amazon, Audible, WB, and a few others, I can have 200-300 unread junk emails at any given time. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.