Authenticating to network shares w/different credentials

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 17" MBP, Mini x2
I wasn't sure if this belonged here or in the networking section, my apologies if this isn't the place for it. Pretty basic question, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a Mac Mini that I use as an HTPC, and an iMac that's my primary home computer. On my iMac, my username is the usual firstinitial-lastname setup (eg: jseventh), with a normal password (we'll just say it's "password" for the sake of the thread).

When I built my Mini, I set it up with htpc/htpc for the user and password, so that if friends/guests wanted to log into it (it's my living room) for any reason they could. So:

My regular login for the iMac: jseventh/password
My login for the Mini: htpc/htpc

Since the Mini isn't all that powerful, when I re-encode video or organize my media, I do it all on the iMac, and then copy the files over to a USB drive on the Mini. Here's the problem.

When I connect to it, I bring up Finder, go to Shared > All and I can see "HTPC" in the list. When I open it up, OSX seems to always try to use my "jseventh" username to login to it. I have to cancel it, and click "Connect As", and type in htpc/htpc. I've tried adding it to keychain and a myriad of different ways to get OSX to always use the correct login for it, but every time I connect to it I always have to cancel out of the dialog box.

How do I get around this? I just want to always connect to that particular machine/share with the "htpc/htpc" credential, instead of the one that I'm logged in with.

Any insight would really be appreciated - thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
There are several things you can do.

You can use Automator to create a workflow that connects you with using stored keychain credentials.

You can use CMD+K to connect versus the Finder sidebar

You could simply make an Alias from the mounted share in the /Volumes folder and put it on your desktop and use that to access the mini via keychain creeds.

Some folks prefer different methods, but I'm sure one of them could work for you.

OP
Seventh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 17" MBP, Mini x2
I'll give one (or all) of those a shot. Thank you very much!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.