Help!! Cannot add MS Word and HP updates to my HD

Reaction score
MY HD recently crashed so I upgraded to 1T HD, got all my Time Machine files etc loaded but my Printer will not print even tho it seems to be recognized by the computer. When I try to add HP installer, the selection box does not include my HD only Ext HD's and a volume that contained some of the Time Machine files. In this Volume is another 'Applications' and 'Library' and 'Users' so I cannot delete it, in fact when I try it will not Delete. My IMAC is OS 10.6.8

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like you created a user account on the new hard drive before restoring the Time Machine backup. That will result in two accounts; the Time Machine user info from the crashed hard drive, and the new user info from the new install. Is that what you did?

OP
R
Reaction score
I can not say for sure as it was done by a shop in Yorba Linda, CA who is not familiar with Mac. The volume has almost 1 T of space. It was listed in the list of Devices as 'untitled'
but now it is inside my HD 'Roger's Mac' What can I do with it?

I have always had the same problem with MS Office updates not showing my HD in the list in the selection box.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since I'm not sure what they did, I suggest looking for another account on the drive and check to see if your old data from the crashed hard drive is there. If you do find out it was setup that way, you can always copy the data from the old account to the new one.

I can't speak to the reason your Office updates are not showing your hard drive when they install. But it does sound like you had some corruption even before your hard drive crashed. You might just be better off starting over with a clean install - but make sure everything is backed up first.

OP
R
Reaction score
Chscag, I just tried to start my Time Machine and if says it will start when Disc is connected. What does that mean. After the shop worked on my IMAC it was sent to a Mac official repair facility to correct a different problem. And now that I rethink the process, the back-up was taken from my crashed HD and reiinstalled using a hard drive reader with a USB connection. Would that have brought the problem with it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just tried to start my Time Machine and if says it will start when Disc is connected. What does that mean.

Time Machine requires an external drive to backup to. Are you connecting an external drive to the iMac?

You also stated the repair shop sent your iMac to an official repair facility to correct a different problem. Do you know what that problem was? I suspect it may have been this:

iMac models 2010, 2011, and the newest 2012s all have proprietary hard drives and cables that have to be matched. Other wise the hard drive fan will go full blast and the temperature sensor won't work correctly.

And now that I rethink the process, the back-up was taken from my crashed HD and reiinstalled using a hard drive reader with a USB connection. Would that have brought the problem with it?

A corrupted backup from a crashed hard drive could certainly create the problems you're now having.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for hangin' in with me. Tomorrow I will take it to the Mac facility and get a fresh install, after they back me up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.