Printing to a Windows 7 shared Printer

Reaction score
I am having a very hard time getting my 2006 Macbook running Snow Leopard to print to my Kodak ESP 3250 printer that is shared from my Windows 7 PC. I have tried the LPD settings as suggested by Microsoft and tried using the PC IP address for the address to the printer rather than the PC name. Neither of these worked. When I had it set up as the Generic PostScript Printer Driver on the Mac, it would send the print job to the printer, but then an error would pop up on my PC saying that the printer may need attention. The printer had the message "printing" with the progress bar working, but it would not print. When I use the Kodak driver, I get an error on the Mac that it won't communicate with the printer. Super frustrated and about to do away with the Mac. Just bought a Mac Mini that I'm going to return to Best Buy if I can't get this to work. Any suggestions? Perhaps a different driver for the printer or something.

OP
E
Reaction score
Well, that stinks. One thing that I was able to do to make it work was to share it with an Airport Extreme, but then I couldn't use the scan function, which completely defeats the purpose of having a multifunction printer. So, I bought an Iomega Printer Auto-sharing switch, so I could hook the printer to my PC and the Airport, but then neither computer would print to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Stinks particularly when a PowerPC G4 cannot even run OS X.6, X.7 or X.8.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You will drive yourself mad trying to connect to this shared via a Windows 7 machine, though it may be easier to go the other way around, given that Windows can dynamically shift output to different ports. Even still, it's not a terribly straightforward process, particularly since Kodak is mostly defunct and therefore driver support (and support in general) is pretty much ended.

A better bet would be to just purchase a printer that has built-in networking. This way you needn't have a machine turned on at all times acting as a server and you can print to it from any machine in your household.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.