Connecting Macbook 5.2 to TV

Reaction score
I am trying to get audio transmitted to my TV from my Macbook. Have succeeded in
getting video but no Audio. I spoke with an Apple technician and he advised to get
a headphone to headphone jack and plug this into the DVI Audio in jack on my
Samsung smart tv - still no audio. I have spent hours researching this and have seen
several discussions on the subject but unable find an answer. Surely, this can be
done - can someone advise.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sounds like you talked to a Apple tech that has read my sticky.

After you plugged the audio cable in, did you open up System Preferences - Sound and select the TV as the output?

Is the HDMI cable plugged in to a port that is also labeled as DVI on the TV?

Reaction score
I am trying to get audio transmitted to my TV from my Macbook. Have succeeded in
getting video but no Audio. I spoke with an Apple technician and he advised to get
a headphone to headphone jack and plug this into the DVI Audio in jack on my
Samsung smart tv - still no audio. I have spent hours researching this and have seen
several discussions on the subject but unable find an answer. Surely, this can be
done - can someone advise.

5,X is 2009..the MDP on 09's do not output sound.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
I have 2009 mbp. it does gives out sound on tv via both male heads audio cable. I have samsung tv with audio in too.

OP
S
Reaction score
Sounds like you talked to a Apple tech that has read my sticky.

After you plugged the audio cable in, did you open up System Preferences - Sound and select the TV as the output?

Is the HDMI cable plugged in to a port that is also labeled as DVI on the TV?

After I plugged the audio - I did open System Preferences - Sound and this showed
Headphone as the Output. The headphone jack was plugged into the DVI Audio in Jack as
I mentioned.
You previously asked for info on the Mac & Tv
Mac is 2008MacOSX 3.06
TV is Samsung UN46ES6100FXZA
Forgive me for being dense - but I am not a electronic guru - am 82 years and trying to learn

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not a problem.

The Samsung owner's manual has gotten real bad and has no pics for anything any longer so it makes assisting with their TVs a little harder now.

I believe you may have it all connected correctly.
Pretty sure you can use any HDMI port for the video.
But, check and see if there are specific HDMI ports on the TV that are labeled "HDMI/DVI" - if so, you must use one of those.
Then the DVI audio port should automatically give you the sound with that HDMI port.
You should be using an audio cable like this one.

If the sound preferences are indicating the headphone jack as the output, that would be correct also.

One other thing - the headphone jack does not act like a line output...
e.g. you must have the volume turned up on your Mac in order to get the sound to the TV.
I've made this mistake.
Make sure the sound on the Mac is turned up to about 75-80%.
I actually use closer to 100% on my '06 Mac.
And, you may still need to turn the TV volume up higher than you usually do.

edit:
I don't think this applies to Samsung - this is primarily a Panasonic option.
If the above is still not working, while you're watching video from the Mac, head into the Settings for the TV.
This could be under the HDMI input settings or the Audio settings.
What you'll be looking for an option to change the audio input from digital to analog.

OP
S
Reaction score
I wish to thank you for your help. I finally got sound. Problem was the HDMI port - was
not told before to plug the HDMI cable into the HDMI DVI.
Now happy - as my wife is very happy
Thanks again for your help

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.