Macbook Pro memory interchangeable?

Reaction score
I have a 2011 15" Macbook Pro with 4 gb of stock memory. My roommate has a 2011 13" Macbook Pro with fried memory. He spilt a beer on his computer, it was a whole mess, had to get essentially the whole thing replaced. But, Apple didn't replace his RAM, and he's now having issues with it (freezes, goes into "Triple Beep" mode).

So, my question is this: If I want to upgrade the memory in my MBP to 8gb, can I simply take the stock 4gb out of mine and put it into his to replace the fried memory? As far as I have checked, they are interchangeable. Just looking to save some money all around.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So, my question is this: If I want to upgrade the memory in my MBP to 8gb, can I simply take the stock 4gb out of mine and put it into his to replace the fried memory? As far as I have checked, they are interchangeable. Just looking to save some money all around.

Yes, the memory modules are the same on both models. But be sure to keep the "suds" away from your machine. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Both use 1333 MHz PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM, so you should be good

But double check by selecting  menu, about this mac and clicking on the memory tag to confirm the type of memory used

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.