Downloads

Reaction score
I want to download a zipped program from Adobe but don't know how to open the file, how do I do that?

M

MacInWin

I have a program called The Unarchiver that unzips files. It's been so long since I didn't have The Unarchiver that I'm not sure if OSX can unzip files natively or not.

What version of OSX do you have, and have you tried double clicking on the zip file to see what OSX does?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
I tend to use SmartZipper Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I have a program called The Unarchiver that unzips files. It's been so long since I didn't have The Unarchiver that I'm not sure if OSX can unzip files natively or not.

What version of OSX do you have, and have you tried double clicking on the zip file to see what OSX does?

Yes, even Leopard does! (as you describe)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If it's a zip file, just double click it. OS X has had built in zip compression support for many versions now so I imagine that the version you're using does as well.

OP
S
Reaction score

When I double click I get a window for a second, opens and closes too fast to see what it reads, then an icon apperas on the desktop, if i do it again, another icon appears.
I have OSX 10.7.5

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If it's producing a cpgz file, use The Unarchiver. That will do the job and prevent the decompression to a cpgz file.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where'd you get this from?

C

chas_m

He's attempting to download the new beta of Lightroom (which is available to anyone, but is buggy thus its a beta). When you double-click on the zip file, what should happen is that the package icon should mount, revealing the installer.

I created an account at Adobe.com to download the package myself and see what's going on. I apparently had "open 'safe' files upon downloading" on because Safari automatically unzipped the file and left me with a package icon and ".pkg" file, which is the installer for Lightroom. Double-clicking the .pkg file starts the installer as expected.

The same thing happened when I retrieved the original zip file out of the trash and opened it "manually" by double-clicking on it; the pkg file mounted, I double-clicked that and the installer started. No third-party tool was required to get this (or indeed any file I normally download through web browsers) to unzip.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
He's attempting to download the new beta of Lightroom (which is available to anyone, but is buggy thus its a beta). When you double-click on the zip file, what should happen is that the package icon should mount, revealing the installer.

I created an account at Adobe.com to download the package myself and see what's going on. I'll edit this message as soon as the download finishes (437MB, it may be a few minutes).

Just doing exactly the same thing :)

OP
S
Reaction score

I created an account at Adobe.com to download the package myself and see what's going on. I apparently had "open 'safe' files upon downloading" on because Safari automatically unzipped the file and left me with a package icon and ".pkg" file, which is the installer for Lightroom. Double-clicking the .pkg file starts the installer as expected.

This is what normaly happens when I download stuff, but this time it didn't.
I am usung Firefox not Safari, I will try again with safari.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.