iPad Doesn't Wake From Sleep?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina MacBook Pro (15")
Hey all,

I came across a strange software glitch with my iPad (4th-Gen, Verizon) that I wanted to share the details about to see if anyone else has come across something similar?

I use my iPad daily, for so many things. One evening, I opened it up and the screen stayed black. So I pressed home, then power.... nothing happened. I plugged it in, thinking it was maybe low on battery. Still nothing. I finally did a 'hard reset' (hold power and home together for 15 seconds or so) and it booted up. Battery was at 92%, so I knew that was not the issue.

Anyways, I used it, put it aside, and then picked it up a little later. Same thing. Black screen, nothing turned it on except doing a 'hard reset' again.

I started experimenting... I put the iPad to sleep for a minute, and then opened it again. It worked fine.

Then I put the iPad to sleep for 2 minutes, and then opened it again. It worked fine.

Then I put it to sleep for 5 minutes, and then opened it again. BLACK SCREEN again! Only a 'hard reset' brought it back to life.

This behavior continued consistently, so I decided to back up and do an erase/restore of the iPad. This did not solve the issue, it still behaved the same way. A 2-minute or even 3-minute sleep would not freeze it up; but a 4 or 5-minute sleep would.

I took it into the Apple Store and they tried "re-flashing the firmware" (so they said). I then restored from my backup again. Same issue, still as before. After 4 - 5 minutes of sleep or longer, the iPad would STAY ASLEEP and only wake up via 'hard reset'.

Finally, in frustration, I restored the iPad and chose "Set Up As New iPad" from the iTunes menu. This FINALLY FIXED my problem! Now the iPad no longer freezes up in sleep mode.

=========================

My conclusing is that some app or something, that apparently made it into my backup, was causing this issue. The thing is, there had been no recent new apps that I had installed for over a week leading up to the strange behavior.

Anyone ever encountered a problem like this before? I am determined to try and figure out what was causing it... but I am at a loss so far.

Anyways - thanks for reading! If you have any insights to share, let me know!

-Mike

OP
fyreous
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina MacBook Pro (15")
Update to Above!

Well,

Looks like my issue wasn't fixed after all. As I began installing apps on my "set up as new" iPad again... the issue came back, exact same as before!

I took it to Apple, and they replaced it free of charge with a brand new unit. Even the Genius said he had never seen this issue before.

-Mike

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I took it to Apple, and they replaced it free of charge with a brand new unit. Even the Genius said he had never seen this issue before.

Glad to hear you have a new iPad. Isn't Apple service great? ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.