iPhone 5/iTunes 11 Syncing ONLY Checked Songs

Reaction score
I have dealt with iTunes for years now and usually i can Google my question and find a lot of others that have the same issues but this one has stumped me.

i have a LOT of music in my library and i don't have the space for all of it (shared computer with my wife, and don't enjoy all of her..... music choices as she doesn't like mine) i only want to sync certain songs to the phone. on precious versions you could "Check Synced Songs" but that's not the case with the newest version of iTunes (11.0.2.26) you do not have that option to check.

i recently found out that you can just click and drag the songs that you want to the device.

do i have to do this everytime? or with you (Apple) bring back the "Checked Sync" button back. WHICH IS WAY MORE CONVENIENT!?

Thanks for your time

-Dedicated Apple user of ALL kinds... but been VERY discouraged lately...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Everyone seems to blame Apple when they can't do something and its usually ALWAYS the operators fault. You just need to dig a little and you can alway find a answer, if its the one your looking for or not, but there is a answer for your question

I have the same iTunes version as you do and i can check what ever songs that i wish too. See image below.
Im betting you have iTunes Match set up on your iTunes Library ??
Thought so.
As with the image below i have iTunes Match turned off on my iPad Mini so i can sync the songs i want, and on my iPhone5 i have iTunes Match turned on because i can use my Data to get the songs from the cloud, so in iTunes it hasn't got the ability to sync with iTunes.

You need to goto settings on your iPhone5 and then Music and turn iTunes Match to Off. Now go to iTunes on your Mac/Windows PC and you should now be able to check mark songs and sync them ??
HTH

Cheers

1st image is from iPad Mini with iTunes Match Off on the iPad Mini and the 2nd is with iTunes Match on, on my iPhone5

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Here's what I would do instead...

1. Create a playlist for you.
2. Create a playlist for your wife.
3. Select and drag your music into your playlist, and select and drag her music into her own.
4. Plug in each iPhone and in the settings for syncing, choose to sync only a specific playlist (choose yours for your iPhone and hers for her iPhone).

That's it... from now on, you just add the music you want on your iPhone to your playlist and vice versa with her iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro

3. Select and drag your music into your playlist, and select and drag her music into her own.
4. Plug in each iPhone and in the settings for syncing, choose to sync only a specific playlist (choose yours for your iPhone and hers for her iPhone).

That's it... from now on, you just add the music you want on your iPhone to your playlist and vice versa with her iPhone.

That's what my wife and I do. Super simple solution. It's the best way to share an Apple ID, only pay for apps/songs once, and still keep your devices set up to your liking/preferences.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That's what my wife and I do. Super simple solution. It's the best way to share an Apple ID, only pay for apps/songs once, and still keep your devices set up to your liking/preferences.

Yep. I think people often overlook the value of playlists. I know I never gave them much thought ("why do I need a playlist? I can just pick what I want to hear"), but now that I see them as a means of breaking up/segregating a large library, they make a lot of sense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Yep. I think people often overlook the value of playlists. I know I never gave them much thought ("why do I need a playlist? I can just pick what I want to hear"), but now that I see them as a means of breaking up/segregating a large library, they make a lot of sense.

Same here until I got an iPhone about 2.5 yrs ago. Only 16GB, but I have an enormous music library. I listen to music on my phone 99% of the time in my car commuting to/from work every day. I created different playlists in iTunes and change which one I sync to periodically. Plus, as we discussed, it helps when you and your mate share an Apple ID on different devices.

C

chas_m

While we're on this topic, a smart playlist called "least played songs" based on playcount can give you a never-ending changing array of songs (since as you listen to them, they won't meet the criteria anymore).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)

Same here, playlists all the way, checking and unchecking is so awkward and time consuming. Sure it's only really there so you can always prevent certain stuff being synced.

You can even create multiple playlists per user.

I've always wished you could have App playlists to manage per device applications in the same way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.