need to delete FF browser

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac laptop OS X, ver 10.5.7
I just downloaded the latest FF updates and the browser hasn't worked right since. It keeps telling me it cant do something (I'm not sure what) with my last session. I've tried everything I can think of following FF's instructions - no luck. I want to delete the old, updated, reset and everything else browser and start fresh.

I have never deleted a browser on any of my Mac's. I wasn't sure where to look for simple basic instructions, so am starting here.

I have a laptop with OS X 10.6.8

Thanks in advance
Jann

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
A Time Machine backup would be the fastest and easiest way, but judging by your post I'm guessing you don't have one.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If it's just the browser itself drag it from Applications to the trash and empty. If it's something in the preferences, you would have to either manually delete them or use a program like App Delete which should zap it all for you.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It keeps telling me it cant do something (I'm not sure what) with my last session.
It would be helpful to know what this is. Can you relaunch it and let us know what it says?

I've tried everything I can think of following FF's instructions - no luck.
What did you try?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dtravis - Thank you! That's exactly what I was trying to determine. I know you drag unwanted documents to the trash, but wasn't sure deleting a browser worked the same way, or where to find what I was supposed to drag.

Rox - thank you. I have the capacity, but setting it up looks way too complicated for me

Vansmith - I know that was pretty vague, but by the time I posted here, I couldn't begin to remember everything I had tried. When I tried to get the message to come back up, of course it would't. I made it go away by setting FF to "not remember" my browsing history. That was worse than having that message appear (and I still can't recall word for word what it said) so I re-set to "to remember", thinking I could live with the message until I could de-install FF. The funny thing was, it appears to have corrected itself. Which makes me wonder if it was FF itself having problems, rather than my browser????

The one good thing that came of this was that I learned how to export my FF bookmarks to Safari. Woo hoo.

Thank you all for trying to help.
Jann

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
A Time Machine backup would be the fastest and easiest way, but judging by your post I'm guessing you don't have one.

Rox - thank you. I have the capacity, but setting it up looks way too complicated for me

Buy a external HD and with disk utility format to Mac OS extended (journaled) Job done.

Plug it in and run time machine, have a look here.
Mac Basics: Time Machine

Screen Shot 2013-04-16 at 17.59.09.png

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FWIW, I looked at Mozilla this AM and it turns out my problem, a screen that comes up "This is embarassing. FF is having trouble recovering....etc etc." IS a FF problem which will "be addressed in future updates"
Oh, yeah? Thanks a LOT, FF and Mozilla. Why didn't you check before you released a faulty update????
Anyhow, thanks, guys for trying to help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.