Cloning dual-boot system to larger hard drive

Reaction score
Helping a friend upgrade from a 120GB hard drive to a 1TB. Created the partitions in advance and cloned the Windows partition first using Disk Utility, when that finished 20 minutes later I ran Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the Mac OS partition. New hard drive boots into Mac OS just fine but doesn't show the Windows partition as a boot option. It was supposedly working before I upgraded the hard drive but also didn't show up when his original hard drive was connected via USB (with the new drive already inside the machine). Boot Camp Assistant only seems to give the option to "Remove Windows 7", which is oddly phrased because he's running Windows XP.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There are a couple of problems here. I am sure the brain trust will correct me if I am wrong.

1. Carbon Copy Cloner will clone OS X partitions but unless something changed recently it does not clone Windows.
2. Try using Winclone to copy the Windows partition. Make sure you download the version appropriate for the version of Windows you have.
3. Not sure about Windows 7 or 8 but prior versions of Windows would not boot from an external drive unless they were part of a virtual machine.

To fix the problem try putting the original drive back in the Mac. And try the following:
1. Clone OS X to the new drive
2. Clone Windows
3. Install new drive in the Mac and boot from it.
4. Run Bootcamp to create the Windows partition.
5. Run Winclone to move the Windows install to the new partition

OP
kahlil88
Reaction score
My initial research concluded that Winclone was the proper tool, however it's no longer a free program (sounds like it was at one point). As stated above, I used Disk Utility to clone the Windows partition, because in theory it should result in an identical partition.

EDIT: It looks like Boot Camp 4.0 doesn't support Windows XP, which is odd because it was working until very recently. Perhaps I need to downgrade...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
I used carbon copy cloner and it did just fine copying my entire disk including my Windows 7 partition.

OP
kahlil88
Reaction score
I used carbon copy cloner and it did just fine copying my entire disk including my Windows 7 partition.
I had a feeling it could handle other filesystems, will keep this in mind for future jobs. Eventually gave WinClone a shot and it couldn't create a disk image because the Windows partition wasn't bootable, just did a clean install of WinXP since he really only uses it for a small handful of programs.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@wolfpuppies3: (and to kahlil88)

Here is what Bombrich software states about copying a Windows partition:

Can CCC back up my BootCamp (Windows) partition?

CCC can back up the contents of the Boot Camp partition, but it cannot make a bootable clone of the partition. If your goal is to back up your user data on the Boot Camp partition, CCC will meet your needs. If you're looking to migrate your Boot Camp partition to a new hard drive, you might consider an alternative solution such as WinClone, or one of the commercial virtualization solutions that offer a migration strategy from Boot Camp.

So you see, even the developer of CCC recommends using WinClone. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
For what is worth have tried Winclone and Acronis software and have found the easiest path is a clean install using BootCamp or Parallels if you prefer a virtual machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.