Force Quit :- keyboard shortcut ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
Hi i have clicked on the Apple icon top left of my desktop, found the FORCE QUIT button easily enough, but then i saw the keyboard shortcut !

I have to ask the members what is third symbol in this Triple Keypress ?????? which key does this represent please ?

Ah, i notice there are four keys to press in my screenshot, it is the rightmost symbol i would like to know about !

Tim

Screen Shot 2013-04-14 at 19.58.20.png

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That is going to be the escape key. The Force Quit dialog is brought up by pressing command, option, and escape simultaneously.

I had to look up why you were seeing a fourth key in your screenshot. That sequence command, option, shift, escape forces whatever application is frontmost to quit. In youtr case it seems to be Mail at the moment.

This Apple article gives many shortcuts and the symbols that are used. The distinction between the two types of Force Quit is near the bottom of the page.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
That is going to be the escape key. The Force Quit dialog is brought up by pressing command, option, and escape simultaneously.

I had to look up why you were seeing a fourth key in your screenshot. That sequence command, option, shift, escape forces whatever application is frontmost to quit. In youtr case it seems to be Mail at the moment.

This Apple article gives many shortcuts and the symbols that are used. The distinction between the two types of Force Quit is near the bottom of the page.

Thanks SKYDUDE that is spot on (of course) very helpful, there is a lot of INFO on that page for sure, excellent.

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Same formula as Windows using Alt Command Delete.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks SKYDUDE that is spot on (of course) very helpful, there is a lot of INFO on that page for sure, excellent.

Tim

Glad to help. I often forget some of the shortcuts that I don't use often so there were a few there I'd forgotten.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.