MacBook Pro issue, need help :(

Reaction score
Hello all, I have been using my MacBook pro 15" Uni for 3 years with no unsolvable problems, however I have encountered an error that has simply rendered my computer into a heat and light emitting lump of metal. The error is "the application finder can't be opened -10810", some of you may be aware of this error, and trust me I've done my research.

I have noticed that there is a big difference between my error and the rest, people have numerous options to follow, mostly terminal related, that's all good IF I could actually open terminal. Another difference is my computer (after entering my login details), logs in, then after a little while returns to the login and wants the login again! this is repeated up to a maximum of four times before it stays logged in. At this point, all the icons on my desktop are invisible, only the text remains, no apps work and I can't access terminal to enter any commands that may aid the situation. I hear that this could be related to external drive usage or misusage, which sounds about right, so access to terminal could solve my problem. It is probably worth mentioning that I can access spotlight itself which I think is quite strange. I have extremely important files on my computer that are needed for a very close university hand in, due to the intensity of my working, I did not think to back up, which I understand is my own fault.

If anybody has any ideas or solutions they would be much appreciated, I'm in a rather sticky situation here :(

Thanks in advance

Danny

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Firstly can you start up in safe mode

Hold down the shift key immediately after the startup chime

And what version of OSX are you using?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Once logged in (after 4 attempts), create another user account and give it admin rights. Then try logging in with that new account. If you can log in with the new account and stay logged in, copy your data over to that account. And it probably means your original account is corrupt.

If the new account has the same problem, I would start suspecting the hard drive. You might want to do a verify and repair on it. For that you'll need your install DVD or if you're using Lion or Mountain Lion, boot to recovery and run Disk Utility from recovery.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt reply, what will safe mode allow me to do specifically? I am using the latest version of snow leopard.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks chscag, I'll try that as well. Thank you both for your help, I'll report back with results.

OP
M
Reaction score
Here is the update, I've noticed that things happen differently each time I access the computer. The desktop icons have returned on the odd occasion, but when they do the all icons in the dock turn into paper and pencils, and strangest of all the finder bar at the top is not there but there are icons in the top right (things such as battery, wifi etc) but no apple logo or file etc on the left side. I cannot click on the icons in the top right of the screen, it's as if they are part of my wallpaper. as far as creating s new account goes, I can't even get to those settings, not even in safe mode! I get the feeling I'm doomed....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Don't know about you being doomed but sure sounds like the hard drive is. You were asked what operating system? Advice varies if Leopard or Snow Leopard which have install DVD and Lion and Mountain lion which use Recovery to check out the drive.

OP
M
Reaction score
I replied with my OS in the second post! It is Snow leopard, the latest version I think. So, it doesn't look like I'm going to get this working with terminal or anything within the computer itself so could it be that if I got my SL install disk and did a repair install that finder and any other system related corrupted apps (if any) would replace without affecting my existing files? Or is my only option to do an entire new install? Thanks for your help everyone :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Just placed the install disk in the computer and tried to boot from disk, I am left staring at a blank screen (When holding C), I try to reset the PRAM, I get nothing, I try to hold option to select the disk to boot, it's not there. It just seems every single 'tier' of solution just isn't working. I either have to surrender to the fact my computer is absolutely F***D or give it to greedy and controlling Apple who will take me to the cleaners. The most frustrating thing is, this error is common! People have solved this error in many different ways with easy methods, every solution that I turn to reveals another problem. Thanks for everyone who has helped...

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Just placed the install disk in the computer and tried to boot from disk, I am left staring at a blank screen (When holding C), I try to reset the PRAM, I get nothing, I try to hold option to select the disk to boot, it's not there. It just seems every single 'tier' of solution just isn't working. I either have to surrender to the fact my computer is absolutely F***D or give it to greedy and controlling Apple who will take me to the cleaners. The most frustrating thing is, this error is common! People have solved this error in many different ways with easy methods, every solution that I turn to reveals another problem. Thanks for everyone who has helped...

Did you rule out if the HDD is corrupted?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.