Upgrading Memory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" rMBP 2014, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 2.6GHz i5
I was wondering on what kind of memory Id need to buy to upgrade the memory in my macbook. Basically, whenever I run something intense like FCPX, The whole system lags, including the video play back and editing within FCPX.

I have a Macbook mid 2009 with a 2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 2GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM. When I click on the Apple logo and then Abouth This Mac, then to More info, it says my Mac contains 2 memory slots each with 1GB currently in use.

Basically, Im trying to increase the RAM in my Mac so editing and general smoothness and running of the machine is faster. What I need to know, is what is the max each memory slot can handle, and any indication on prices I should expecct to pay.

Thanks for any help people :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML
I just upgraded my memory on my Mbp. I went to crucial.com and they scanned my computer and told me exactly what I could use and how much it cost. I ordered it from them and it was a snap to put in.

OP
imfromwales
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" rMBP 2014, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 2.6GHz i5
Thanks for the info on the 6gb, ive done a bit of digging around and came up with the same information you just gave me. Am i right in thinking memory doesnt have to be a multiple of 2 no, so I could get a 4gb card and keep one of my 1gb cards to have 5gb?

I also guess there is no maximum size of an internal hard drive, apart from the physical size of it yes?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Thanks for the info on the 6gb, ive done a bit of digging around and came up with the same information you just gave me. Am i right in thinking memory doesnt have to be a multiple of 2 no, so I could get a 4gb card and keep one of my 1gb cards to have 5gb?

I also guess there is no maximum size of an internal hard drive, apart from the physical size of it yes?

It's generally better to have matching pair of RAM. Less problems. As for the HDD yes it needs to be able to fit into your machine. XD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.