Scanner detection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 9,1
Mac OS X detection of scanners seems to be a topic which comes up from time to time but I haven't found any threads with definitive answers.

I have a Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300 which I am able to use with my iMac but only if I start the ScanSnap Manager application manually. I don't use the scanner every day so don't really want the software running all the time. I would like to be able to have ScanSnap Manager start automatically when the scanner powers up.

My first thought was to use Image Capture but the scanner doesn't show up as a detected device (with or without the app running).

It does show up in System Profiler but I don't know what tools or settings are available to cause the system to launch the app.

Can anyone give me any tips?

I'm running Snow Leopard

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 9,1
Thanks but as I mentioned in the original post, I'm using Snow Leopard. Also, I didn't mention it but I am using the latest version of ScanSnap Manager: V3.2L63.

As far as Fujitsu is concerned there is no problem, and I can't disagree with that as I have no problem using the scanner as long as I manually start up ScanSnap Manager as well as powering on the scanner. I just want the added convenience of having the application start automatically when the scanner is detected (which I would normally expect to be able to set using Image Capture).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.