Move TIme Machine to wireless

Reaction score
I have an external HDD that I have been using for TM backups. I have always had it in a drawer and pulled it out for incremental backups once a week. I just connected it to my Airport Extreme to start doing wireless backups. However, once I got it connected, it tries to do a full back up (around 175GB) instead of the small backups.

What did I miss?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
When backing up to a directly connected external drive Time Machine creates the folder structure you've probably seen many times. When backing up over a network Time Machine stores the backup in an expandable disk image called a sparse bundle. For all practical purposes Time Machine sees this setup as a different drive.

What you want to do can be very time consuming. In some cases it may take longer than starting with a new backup. See this page for all the relevant info. Be sure to click on the link that shows how to go from local backups to network backups.

OP
H
Reaction score
When backing up to a directly connected external drive Time Machine creates the folder structure you've probably seen many times. When backing up over a network Time Machine stores the backup in an expandable disk image called a sparse bundle. For all practical purposes Time Machine sees this setup as a different drive.

What you want to do can be very time consuming. In some cases it may take longer than starting with a new backup. See this page for all the relevant info. Be sure to click on the link that shows how to go from local backups to network backups.

Badass. Thanks for the help. I will read over it. I suppose if I have to, I will re-do the backup.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're welcome. Hope that helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.