Mac Mini and superdrive no go

Reaction score
I just bought a brand new Mini, decided to get the Super drive, doesn;t seem to be working, the Computer recognizes the drive in the tool bar, but cannot get it open, tried the eject button changed USB's was told on one USB port that there was not enough power, thought it would be a simple plug & play, Mac is a new game to me after many PCs, different but when I get the hang of it I can see it as a much better machine. Any help appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Maybe you need an optical drive with mains power? On an iMac purchased a cheap four port USB hub and a Samsung optical drive which connects to two of the hubs USB ports and works a treat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
As you are using a current model Mac Mini, the Apple USB SuperDrive is designed to work with it. You shouldn't get an insufficient power warning. As both are new, I would contact AppleCare.

OP
D
Reaction score
Mini superdrive

Thanks for the replies, the mini is model number MD387ll/a, 8g, 500HD, i-5 cpu, the drive is Md564ZM/A, I understand on some drive 2 usb cables are necessary, I never heard of that, is there a coupler or something for this use? Thanks again, Jim

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I did a search with the model number of that drive. Unless I am badly mistaken it should not need power from two ports to run.

There are some hard drives that use power from two ports to run. One end of the cable has connections for two usb ports and the other fits inter the device. I personally try to avoid this

OP
D
Reaction score
Mac superdrive

Mine does not have two cables, its the latest drive as is my MIni, the drive shows up on the drive icon on the top, but shows no eject, the eject button on the keyboard either?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 Mac Mini i5, macOS 10.15.4, iPhone 11 Pro Max, PowerBook G4, iMac G3/4/5
I have the same Mac Mini and the SuperDrive. I have found that the SuperDrive only work for me when it is plugged directly into the Mac. I have a good, externally powered USB 3 hub, but I get the insufficient power error if I try connecting the SuperDrive to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.