Partitioning for optimum speed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Late 2014, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Yosemite 10.10.3
Hi guys, was wondering whether I can get some help.

I want to partition my Mac HD for maximum performance with my various music production software.

1. If I have a 232GB HD with 68GB free, exactly what portion of the drive shall I partition for application use and how much for file memory?

2. I know in normal un-partitioned drives it is usually advised to keep around 20GB free so apps can run as fast as possible. How does this principal translate to a partitioned drive? Do I need to create my "speedy" partition 20GB larger than the current size of my Application folder?

3. How do I determine the size, each partition should be for optimum speed?
What folders do I need to calculate for the "speedy" partition & which for the "storage" partition?

4. How does one set up folders on the 2 drives after partitioning?

many thanks,
Josh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You will need to keep a minimum of 15% free space on the drive, and/or partitions for these to work anywhere near efficiently. Suggest the drive is not really big enough nor enough free space to commence partitioning. 15% of 232GB drive is about 34GB so as you can see balance not really suitable for what you ask.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
First off, how is it you think partitioning your drive is going to provide maximum hard drive performance?

imho - 15-20% free space is what you need to maintain just for the operating system and your software to operate at what I would call "semi-properly".

If you want your system to operate at peak speed, I firmly believe a minimum of 35-40% free space must be maintained. I've done way too many tests related to maintaining speed on my systems for well over 15 years as an avid gamer and overclocker. I'm extremely picky when it comes to the speed of my systems.

And yes, in my short experience with OS X (only 6 years and post PPC), the same applies as it did in Windows.

If you are really interested in maximizing your hard drive speed, what you need is not to partition your drive, but to buy a new faster and larger drive. I would suggest a WD Black minimum 500 GB (never let it go under 200 GB free space) and there is no need to partition it unless the software you are using uses a large amount of virtual memory via a scratch disk similar to the way photoshop uses drive space as virtual memory and the application you are using provides a setting for the location of those temp files.

If you are creating and deleting large files on an ongoing basis, you also will be one of those that would benefit from defragging the drive.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You will need to keep a minimum of 15% free space on the drive, and/or partitions for these to work anywhere near efficiently. Suggest the drive is not really big enough nor enough free space to commence partitioning. 15% of 232GB drive is about 34GB so as you can see balance not really suitable for what you ask.

First off, how is it you think partitioning your drive is going to provide maximum hard drive performance?

imho - 15-20% free space is what you need to maintain just for the operating system and your software to operate at what I would call "semi-properly".

If you want your system to operate at peak speed, I firmly believe a minimum of 35-40% free space must be maintained. I've done way too many tests related to maintaining speed on my systems for well over 15 years as an avid gamer and overclocker. I'm extremely picky when it comes to the speed of my systems.

And yes, in my short experience with OS X (only 6 years and post PPC), the same applies as it did in Windows.

If you are really interested in maximizing your hard drive speed, what you need is not to partition your drive, but to buy a new faster and larger drive. I would suggest a WD Black minimum 500 GB (never let it go under 200 GB free space) and there is no need to partition it unless the software you are using uses a large amount of virtual memory via a scratch disk similar to the way photoshop uses drive space as virtual memory and the application you are using provides a setting for the location of those temp files.

If you are creating and deleting large files on an ongoing basis, you also will be one of those that would benefit from defragging the drive.

I thought that partitioning the drive meant I could operate my applications on the faster part of the dive (inside/outside of the disk) and store my files on the slower part of the drive. Is this correct?

So in essence will it be more effective with a 232GB drive just to keep it as a single partition and have more free space available? (ps I currently have 75GB avai. as moved my iTunes folder and all my Reason files to an external)

I didn't quite understand the last bit of ur answer regarding software using virtual memory like photoshop.. Do you have any idea if Propellerheads Reason, or Logic work the same way as photoshop in that respect?

I am going to do a clean install of 10.6 anyway (& write zeros), will this defrag the disk at the same time or is this something I do separately before/after the install?

many thanks,
j

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Also, regarding the WD Black 500gb.. I take it this is an 'internal' harddrive? Do you know if it fits my MBP late 2008 unibody? Are they relatively easy to install yourself? (I have cleaned fans / changed iphone battery before - about the extent of my current hardware experience)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.