Setting up a "randomized" email system

Reaction score
Sorry, I had no idea what to title this. I'm just wondering if it is possible.

I'm wondering if it is possible to set up something that will automatically forward emails to 1 of 7 different recipients. If that didn't make sense, I'll just explain what I want to happen. First email with specific criteria comes in and it automatically forwards to recipient 1. Second email with specific criteria comes and it automatically forwards to recipient 2 and so on. The specific criteria would just be that it contains certain words.

That's all for now.

Thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
This isn't random email forwarding, but rather forwarding with filters/rules. What mail application are you using so that we can point you to the relevant steps?

OP
D
Reaction score
I don't think I explained what I want to do well enough.

Example: A rule that sends the first email containing "elephant" to Joe, then the next one containing "elephant" to Amy, then the next one containing "elephant" to Tamy, then the next one containing "elephant" to Joe, then the next one containing "elephant" to Amy, etc. etc.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sounds like you may need to start programming.

OP
D
Reaction score
Last thing I forgot. I need to easily be able to hand it off to the next group of people in my position. Preferably something that is completely online that will allow the next person to type in the new set of Joe/Amy/Tamy recipients.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Pardon my innocence, but what possible use is there to send e-mail with the same criteria to random recipients, unless this is used to spam people about the same stuff??

I mean where is the e-mail being generated from to begin with?

OP
D
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out a way to evenly delegate incoming work between multiple workers without needing someone to go in and forward emails to each of us.

C

chas_m

While I'm sure what you're looking for is theoretically possible, I have to say that's a unique use of email in my experience.

It might be easier to set up a filter that any incoming email with "elephant" is forwarded to *all seven* recipients, one of whom makes a note on the shared calendar that they've taken on that job. If the incoming email were in the form of an invitation to a "meeting" (per Outlook standards), that could quickly be replied to simply by pressing an accept button.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.