Need a push in the right direction

Reaction score
I am an aspiring iPhone app developer, as if you haven't heard this plenty of times. I am here to ask where I should continue my learning next.

To help you answer my questions, I should probably give you a little background first.

I came up with an idea for an app in January and have since bought 4 books on Objective-C and iOS programming. The books I purchased: "Programming in Objective-C 5th Edition - Stephen Kochan", "iOS Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide 3rd Edition - Hillegass", "The Core iOS 6 Developer's Cookbook - Erica Sadun", and also " The Advanced iOS 6 Developer's Cookbook - Erica Sadun".

In January before I began my path to learning to make iPhone apps, I had no prior coding experience and planned to learn Objective-C as my first programming language. I have since read the Programming in Objective-C 5th Edition book and I now know and understand the basics and syntax of Objective-C programming. However, I still feel as though I am no where close to where I need to be as far as having the know-how knowledge to create the app I want.

The app I am looking to create would require user registry/log-in, as well as, being able to upload various data such as audio/video/image. I am stuck currently not knowing where to go from here. If someone could point me in the right direction, such as listing some frameworks to look into in order to implement the aforementioned features.

Although I feel I've passed the first big hurdle in programming by grasping the concepts and embracing the syntax and Objective-C language, I still feel as if I am lost. I guess I am just overwhelmed at all of the things it takes in order to create apps.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any help is greatly appreciated!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Learning Obj-C is a good start, but just knowing the language and its syntax isn't enough. You should read through the iOS books. I especially like the Beginning iOS Programming books that introduce you to the Cocoa Touch framework for building your application.

You also need to learn about MVC, a design pattern that's used heavily in app (iOS or Mac) development.

Another option, which I've been going through, is the Stanford iOS classes in iTunes U. There are atleast three sessions up there from 2011 or so. The current semester is also up there and is specific to iOS 6 which is great. So you can stary just wih this one.

I would also suggest that you go and read up on object oriented programming, since the class will skip over that and assume you know it.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply!

I am probably going to read through the iOS books beginning with the Hillegass one as one of the books says that is the best to read after reading the Learning Objective-C book by Kochan.

I know a little bit about Model-View-Controller design from what I've read on Apple's Documentation I believe it was. Model objects are data like NSString, View objects would be UI Objects, and the Controller connects and enables the Model and View objects to interact and exchange messages. Is that description somewhere on the right track?

Also, I watched the first Standford CS193P course on Youtube back when I was in the middle of reading the Kochan book, but I stopped watching because I felt a lot of it was going over my head. It also felt a little too fast paced and not explained enough, but I have seen on other sites that the CS193P is a good way to learn iOS as well so I may give them a chance again.

As far as going to read up on OOP, do you think that is necessary? I'm just wondering because I feel like I understand how the programming using object works by this point. You create objects from classes and also use pointers to objects when referencing data, etc. If you believe there is something to learn from going to read on OOP, then I would, but I feel as if it may be counter-productive for me at this point. If you have any good links on OOP that you feel I could benefit from, by all means do share please.

Once, again thanks for you advice, much appreciated.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yeah that is the gist of MVC, in theory..:) it's using it properly that comes with practice..;)

Now that you have some Obj-C knowledge, the CS193P classes will be really useful to learn iOS, in my opinion..

Also, OOP is not only about creating and referencing objects but Leo understanding inheritance, data abstraction and polymorphism..

Since Obj-C is a OOP language, not knowing how that really works means you end up,writing inefficient code..I'll see if I can dig up some quick OOP related material for you to read while continuing on your iOS journey..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.