Mail app needs improved

Reaction score
Coming over from Windows I love most everything about Mac OSX 10.7. Except the Mail app could be better. From what I've read, I don't think anything was improved in Mountan Lion either. First, reading the Inbox was reading up instead of down. Illogical. I had to do something in Terminal to change this. Next, Repiles included the stupid line "On April 11, at 9:15 PM, so and so wrote". What's up with that? (and this is the same in iOS iPad Mail) We know in the From who it came from. And the date and time is in the header also. And the Reply text is below this, not above where it ahould be. I had to get a 3rd party app called Quote Fix to correct this. Then attachments are handled terribly so I had to get Attachment Tamer for this. I use the Mac and Mail for a serious business and Windows receipents of my emails had problems with attachments until I got Tamer. So I had to get two add-ons just to send simple emails to the rest of the world. And frequently, In Replies to me, my Signature is blown up to a giant font size. Apple should update the Mail app to a real, "big boy" email program. And a missing convenience (in Windows Outlook) is to "delay" sendng an email until a future date and time. I used this for my different time zone associates to avoid flooding their Inbox until they had their coffee. Outlook runs rings around Mail. I think it's an old stubbornness at Apple where they do not want, God forbide, to do anything like Microsoft.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved here to the correct forum.

If the Mail app is not up to par for you, simply switch to another mail program. There's no shortage of mail programs for the Mac. Try Mozilla Thunderbird which is free: LINK

4 of the best mail clients for the Mac: LINK

OP
B
Reaction score
I did. Outlook for Mac. I just was hoping people coming after me don't have to find another mail app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It's horses for courses, swings and roundabouts.

I don't really care for the default Mail app but I genuinely despise Outlook. I have to put up with it a work and thought of it on my home machines, Mac or Windows, makes me go cold.

But that's just me.

Everyone has different needs from software. For me I'd like to see a client version of the gmail web interface. but I know from the off that wouldn't suit many of my friends and customers.

I'm not saying Thunderbird is perfect either but . . . many of my friends and customers end up using Thunderbird as it covers most bases.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I did. Outlook for Mac. I just was hoping people coming after me don't have to find another mail app.

Everyone has different needs. My mail needs are simple so Apple Mail works for me. I do use Thunderbird but only as a news client. And I agree with mrplow about Outlook. I was forced into using it at work for years and to this day still dislike the program.

Actually my favorite mail client was "Lotus Notes". Am I telling my age? ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I HATE Outlook, All CAPS! :D Hate Outlook Express even more! Biggest disaster of a mail program ever made!

Mail will do ascending and Descending. Did you check all the settings?

Why should Apple do things the Microsoft way? Like IE that ruined WeB Standards making designing pages a pain for us poor Web design people? I am glad they don't copy Microsoft. If they did, OSX would not be in my house! :D

Way back before OSX I used to run Eudora. That probably dates me a bit also! :D Ran it first on Genie then my first Netcom account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Actually my favorite mail client was "Lotus Notes". Am I telling my age? ;)

I worked for a large insurance company in 2009 that used Lotus Notes and I gotta say it was a very powerful and useful tool. I would LOVE to see Mail incorporate some of those features that Notes had. I think my favorite was the ability to make email templates and also the ability to compose an email, save it and set a recurring schedule of when to send it out and who to send it to - all automatically!

I'm stuck with Outlook on Windows 7 at my current job and it makes me so hapy to get home each night and be able to use the Mail app on ML. I think Mail is just fine.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
On your complaint about it adding "On April 11, at 9:15 PM, so and so wrote" to a reply, delete it. It shows right in the body. Zap it before you press send. I very much prefer it being there though as it tells exactly when it was sent and to who.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.