Best way to make MP3 for playing on non-Macs?

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am in need of some help in an urgent manner. I need to make a recording that can be played by non-mac computers for a court case. I have Garage Band and Itunes (if that even has a record feature on it?) I have made the recording in Garage Band but it saves as an GaragebandProject under "kind" when I get info on the file saved to my desktop. And I belive it is an AIF file. Not 100 percent sure on this.

I know I did this once before from GB and was able to save it as an MP3. Yet now 7 months later I can't seem to find the setting to do this again. The one I did 7 months ago, is listed as MP3 in the get info. I doubt anyone that needs to play this will have Garage Band so I have to have a file that will play on whatever comes on PC machines.

If GB is not the best, other than Itunes is there any other supplied software with a MBP that I can use?

Thanks D300

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I am in need of some help in an urgent manner. I need to make a recording that can be played by non-mac computers for a court case. I have Garage Band and Itunes (if that even has a record feature on it?) I have made the recording in Garage Band but it saves as an GaragebandProject under "kind" when I get info on the file saved to my desktop. And I belive it is an AIF file. Not 100 percent sure on this.

I know I did this once before from GB and was able to save it as an MP3. Yet now 7 months later I can't seem to find the setting to do this again. The one I did 7 months ago, is listed as MP3 in the get info. I doubt anyone that needs to play this will have Garage Band so I have to have a file that will play on whatever comes on PC machines.

garageband export mp3 - Startpage Web Search

Among the hits:
http://cnu.edu/media/pdf/how to export garageband file as an mp3 file.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iJs-KzPuBI

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.