• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How many Macs WORKING NOW

Reaction score
I have seen threads on "How many Macs do you have?" but none on how many are working now and are they working together?

Now that I have had some more time at home lately and some extra computers no longer needed at my office, here is my setup:

iMac in bedroom - general browsing, e-mail, sound and video editing, photo library management.

15" MacBook on work table - office work, letters, managing network when noise is not allowed in the bedroom.

New MacMini - top shelf in the kitchen, no screen or keyboard runs three security cameras (Evocam - saves clips in DropBox allowing viewing from anywhere), internet radio and music fed to the network via Airfoil

Old Mac Mini in living room, also no screen or keyboard: one security camera, Scansnap, runs OCR on scans and faxes, feeds audio to wireless speakers

Older ITouch in Bose SoundDock speakers gets audio via Airfoil

Airport Express feeds audio to living room and bedroom speakers

And it all works!!!

John F

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
John F
Reaction score
What do you mean by..."working together"?:)

- Nick

Could be streaming audio/video, sharing disk drives, screen sharing - just operating in a way that makes use of other computers that are connected or networked in some way. No doubt others will be doing things that I have not thought of.

John F

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could be streaming audio/video, sharing disk drives, screen sharing - just operating in a way that makes use of other computers that are connected or networked in some way. No doubt others will be doing things that I have not thought of.

Thanks for clarifying.:)

I was asking because..."How many Macs working now?"...and..."Working Together"...are not necessarily 100% compatible concepts. For someone (such as myself)...who owns a lot of Mac's...it's pretty difficult to make a 1986 Mac Plus "work together" with a 2012 Apple computer.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Right now, one. I have all of my macs either sold or torn apart. The working one is a 27 inch iMac. My retina pro just shipped last night and should be here by Monday.

OP
John F
Reaction score
Here's something that might be useful. I have several laptops that I use from time to time and when I fire them up it takes a while for DropBox to be updated (I process a lot of photographs through DropBox). This means that it may be a while before needed files are available. However I have the Mac Minis working all the time, so their DropBoxes are always up to date. So . . . switch on the laptop, log on to the network, shut off DropBox sync, start SyncTwoFolders, share the MacMini Dropbox through the network and update the laptop DropBox at local network speed. The whole thing is done in a fraction of the time.

John F

C

chas_m

We have a modest household, Mac wise: two MacBooks (mine a Pro, hers an Air), a temporarily dead Blackbook (needs new battery), an iPad, and a pair of iPhone 4s. Once our landlord finally lets us get an HDTV we'll add an Apple TV to the mix.

Reaction score
I have my Mac Pro, and the 17" my wife has her MacBook Pro and my daughter has a MacBook. While they all work together meaning files can be transfered amongst all, they are not connected.

OP
John F
Reaction score
>> I was asking because..."How many Macs working now?"...and..."Working Together"...are not necessarily 100% compatible concepts. For someone (such as myself)...who owns a lot of Mac's...it's pretty difficult to make a 1986 Mac Plus "work together" with a 2012 Apple computer.<<

My 15" PowerPC laptop can screen share with any of the newer computers, particularly the headless Mac Minis, and of course it runs DropBox, so those are two kinds of of working together.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I have 2. listed in my signature.

The Mini is my media center. overkill, but man it works nice with my iPad, iPhone and both Apple TVs. I also use it to backup my DVDs into iTunes.

My MBP is my workhorse. Other than HomeSharing for AirPlay, I dont really network them directly to each other.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
John, that is because your 15" Power PC Mac runs OSX. Nicks 1986 Mac Plus will not run OSX. OS 7.1 at most.

I have a 20" IMac late 2007, 2006 Mini upgraded to a Core2Duo with newer firmware like a 2007, a Late 2007 Macbook with Intel SantaRosa Chipset, Last PPC Mac Mini working at a server, the last iBook G4 and an old G4 DA with many upgrades running 10.5.8. All work together on my network and screen share with each other.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My 15" PowerPC laptop can screen share with any of the newer computers, particularly the headless Mac Minis, and of course it runs DropBox, so those are two kinds of of working together.

Here are the question(s) you asked originally (6 months ago):

"I have seen threads on "How many Macs do you have?" but none on how many are working now and are they working together?"

There are two questions here:

1. How many Mac's are working now?
2. Are they working together? Which would probably be better stated...are they "networked together"...is what I think what you're really asking.

As I mentioned above...these two questions can have differing answers. For the simple reason...many Mac models from the 1990's and before are not capable of "working together" with newer Mac's (Mac's capable of running OS X)...simply because they are too darn old & cannot run OS X.

So a person attempting to answer your two questions may say...I own 25 Macintosh computers...but only 3 of them are "working together".

Why you may ask? 22 of them may be really old Mac models from the 1980's and 1990's...and the 3 other's may be much newer models.

I'm only mentioning this since...the two questions you asked are really not necessarily related. Since a person can own many Mac's...but all of them may not be capable of "working together" if they are too old.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 DUO,8GB,G4SE 8600GT 256,leopard 10.5.8
Now this is an interesting thread. Networking together.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
We have a modest household, Mac wise: two MacBooks (mine a Pro, hers an Air), a temporarily dead Blackbook (needs new battery), an iPad, and a pair of iPhone 4s. Once our landlord finally lets us get an HDTV we'll add an Apple TV to the mix.

Then we're nearly destitute: a Mac Mini.

M

MacInWin

I have a 17" MBP, my wife has a 15" MBP, her business runs on a MacMini and we share an iMac (from 2008, I think.) She syncs the MacMini and her MBP so that when she's traveling she has her work files with her, and she syncs the personal email from the iMac to her MBP for personal reasons. That way, if she reads an email on her MBP, it gets marked on the iMac as read also. That syncing also syncs the outbox and sent mail so that basically the iMac and MBP personal emails are identical. We also have two iPads and two iPhones. All of them share a wireless network and can communicate with each other. In fact, when she occasionally has some strange message on the Mini, she'll call out to me in my office and I'll just remote into the Mini to see what's going on. She thinks its "magic."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I have a L2012 Mac Mini (see below) and my wife has our 2012 13" MBA. She also has an iPhone5. I also have a iPad Mini and iPod Touch5. All devices are share our Wireless N+ network including my 2TB NAS without any issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
I have one Mac in the house. A Mac Mini from Mid 2010 and wired up to a 70" LCD screen.
There are two very good reasons for the size of the screen.
1 ... Watching movies is brilliant.
2 ... I can get the best of both worlds with 3 screens showing different web pages and one screen showing a tv channel.

OP
John F
Reaction score
Macs working together

I deliberately left the question vague as I was interested what others might be doing. Working together could mean shariing drives, printers, folders or screens or for that matter share via a cloud service. I have an older Black MacBook that will no longer run the latest Mac OS so it is equipped with Ubuntu Linux instead (which it does very well) but it can still share via DropBox. Even my old Power PC 15" laptop can share a screen with a later model.

Here are the question(s) you asked originally (6 months ago):

There are two questions here:

1. How many Mac's are working now?
2. Are they working together? Which would probably be better stated...are they "networked together"...is what I think what you're really asking.

As I mentioned above...these two questions can have differing answers. For the simple reason...many Mac models from the 1990's and before are not capable of "working together" with newer Mac's (Mac's capable of running OS X)...simply because they are too darn old & cannot run OS X.

So a person attempting to answer your two questions may say...I own 25 Macintosh computers...but only 3 of them are "working together".

Why you may ask? 22 of them may be really old Mac models from the 1980's and 1990's...and the 3 other's may be much newer models.

I'm only mentioning this since...the two questions you asked are really not necessarily related. Since a person can own many Mac's...but all of them may not be capable of "working together" if they are too old.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I deliberately left the question vague as I was interested what others might be doing. Working together could mean shariing drives, printers, folders or screens or for that matter share via a cloud service. I have an older Black MacBook that will no longer run the latest Mac OS so it is equipped with Ubuntu Linux instead (which it does very well) but it can still share via DropBox. Even my old Power PC 15" laptop can share a screen with a later model.

John...it's been like 5 months since your last reply (water under the bridge)!;)

But thanks for clarifying what was meant by the thread title.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Wow, it has been quite a long time since I've been around. Chiming in on a lazy day at uni to say that I have one Mac. Late 2011 15" MBP with the hi-res anti-glare screen. This thing is kicking butt and taking names, and has been since day one. Hoping for a cinema display soon, however, as the iPad has really been my go to device for carrying with me on the go. The MBP is mostly a desk machine, so a nice big screen would be delightful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.