• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How many Macs WORKING NOW

OP
John F
Reaction score
John, that is because your 15" Power PC Mac runs OSX. Nicks 1986 Mac Plus will not run OSX. OS 7.1 at most.

With apologies. I came to the World of Mac at the same time as OSX, so I am inclined to overlook what came before.

John F

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
With apologies. I came to the World of Mac at the same time as OSX, so I am inclined to overlook what came before.

John F

Was not trying to talk down to you but tell you the truth. I don't even remember what I said it's been so long! :D

OP
John F
Reaction score
John...it's been like 5 months since your last reply (water under the bridge)!;)

But thanks for clarifying what was meant by the thread title.:)

- Nick

Living between two continents and little time on the other side for on-line forums (although I do have internet access) means that I do appear and disappear from time to time.

BTW when away, a Mac Mini looks after security and sends me video clips via Dropbox of anything that moves outside the house. It works very well. Plugged into a UPS it has run up to four months unattended.

John F

Last edited:
OP
John F
Reaction score
I have 2. listed in my signature.

The Mini is my media center. overkill, but man it works nice with my iPad, iPhone and both Apple TVs. I also use it to backup my DVDs into iTunes.

My MBP is my workhorse. Other than HomeSharing for AirPlay, I dont really network them directly to each other.

My older MBP has become the workhorse too, particularly since the addition of a 500GB SSD has made it FAST. I also use a Mac Mini as a media centre that does security as well and keep it tucked away on top of the kitchen cupboards, controlling it using screen sharing from the MBP. Giving it media responsibility means that there are no processor time conflicts when I am video editing on the MBP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.