Connect SCSI Xerox scanner to MacBook Air?

Reaction score
Hey all,
I know the first thing anyone will maybe want to say is get a new scanner. Not an option for this application. The scanner is a Xerox 620s, and I need the durability and accuracy of this thing (they sold for $17k when new.) So- anyone have experience with adapting an old SCSI scanner to USB? What cable is the best? A cable that adapts, or an adapter and a USB cable? I really don't know, but this project is super important for everyone, and it has to be ACCURATE. I am archiving print media for use in a genetically intelligent database, and there is little room for error. At all. And if anyone knows the best OCR software for this project, I am all ears- if need be I will build a windoze box for exclusive use of like TWAIN/PictBridge even though I hate to.
Thanks in advance,
~cc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You may need to run that into an older machine with a PCI SCSI card installed

If you were doing pre-press stuff I would understand your attachment to that old scanner

But if your prime job is OCR then I really dont understand why you cannot use a modern scanner (and I have worked in print for 20 years, and know that even medium cost modern scanners are more than up for the task

OP
C
Reaction score
scanner

Hey, thanks. It really has a lot to do with the weak link they all have, and that is the ADF. A commercial level Xerox can't be beat, and this thing has to be able to run for years and years. I do not want to have to babysit the thing, and as an ex- Xerox engineer, I know well who can handle originals the best, and I do not have time to hand feed all this data. So... what type of Mac would be the unit to use? An old G4? I really do not care what the unit is as long as it is a Mac. I do not wish to deal with a win box at all if I can avoid it, but I am absolutely cool with buying another older Mac. If this is the case, and I hope it is (!) then what box, and what older software makes the most sense?

OP
C
Reaction score
Older Mac to use a Xerox SCSI scanner with?

Hey all,

I got some very reasonable advice from Louishen (thanks!!!) who says rather than try to adapt my I/O from a Xerox 620s (SCSI) to my Air, I should go retro on the machine end. (here: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...-scsi-xerox-scanner-macbook-air-new-post.html) This makes a whole lot of sense in that I was already thinking about a dedicated OCR hardware solution for a database I am developing. I am told I need a PCT(?) SCSI equipped Mac. In light of this, anyone with any advice regarding what (desktop?) machine I should be looking at? Sometimes it seems the most elegant solution is the simplest. That scanner is 1998 vintage, BTW, and no- I am not interested in a newer scanner- I would not mind another Mac to do this with, but am unfamiliar with older hardware, and which software works the best. I am into OCR accuracy, and not efficiency at all.

Thanks in advance,
~cc

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.