.m4a changes to .mp3?

Reaction score
When I download an .m4a file from a google site on my MBP (OS 10.8.2), it appears in the downloads folder as an .m4a.mp3 filetype. Obviously, the computer is reading the .m4a as part of the filename, and downloading it as an .mp3. To get it to play, I have to strip off the new tag, but is there a way to get it to just download the file and not mis-recognize the filetype?

C

chas_m

Can you give us a link so we can see where the problem actually lies? I have a feeling the issue is on your end (not saying it's your fault, however). Also what are you using to download the file in question?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
??
Does the same here - won't play until you delete one of the extensions - doesn't matter which one.

Am thinking the individual creating the files is adding the .m4a extension as a part of the name of the file.

e.g. when he/she renames the files they've recorded - they have 'hide file extensions' turned on and are naming the files including the extension not realizing the extension is there, just hidden.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Agreed. When you look at the details of the file it's actually an mp3.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.