My old macbook charger won't charge my macbook!

Reaction score
I have an older macbook (white). Recently, the charger that came with my computer will not charge my computer. If the charger is plugged into an outlet, then plugged into my macbook, the light won't turn on and the screen will not indicate that it's charging. I assume this is an issue with the charger, as I just got a new battery. Is there anything I can do before resorting to getting a new charger???

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have an older macbook (white). Recently, the charger that came with my computer will not charge my computer. If the charger is plugged into an outlet, then plugged into my macbook, the light won't turn on and the screen will not indicate that it's charging. I assume this is an issue with the charger, as I just got a new battery. Is there anything I can do before resorting to getting a new charger???

You said that your have an older white MacBook...and I'm presuming you have a newer Apple laptop with the charger you are referring to.

You didn't exactly say how new the 2nd newer computer is...but if it's a brand new Apple laptop...I hope that you are aware that Apple redesigned the magsafe plug:

magsafecomparo.jpg

magsafe-283864.jpg

HTH,

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Mine is the smaller, square version of the two that you posted. Should I just invest in the newer, rectangular type?

My macbook is not new and not a macbook pro. Just a white, older macbook.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Mine is the smaller, square version of the two that you posted. Should I just invest in the newer, rectangular type?

You should invest in a charger that is appropriate for your older MacBook.

My macbook is not new and not a macbook pro. Just a white, older macbook.

Yes it's clear that you have an older MacBook...what isn't clear is how new & what model this 2nd newer Apple laptop is.

If there isn't a 2nd computer...then I guess I'm confused...due to how I'm reading post #1.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.