Poor Windows Performance via BootCamp

Reaction score
I installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on my mid-2012 MBP 13" via BootCamp thinking it would be the only way to let Windows use the full potential of the hardware. However, when I ran the Windows Experience Index, the rating for the Primary Hard Disk was only a 5.9 despite having an SSD.

When I ran a copy of the same OS via Parallels, the Primary Hard Disk rating jumped up to a 7.9.

How come the hard drive rating is so low for my BootCamp Windows install? Is there a way to fix this issue? Am I just better off running Windows through Parallels?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That makes no sense as Parallels is emulation and Bootcamp is NATIVE Windows directly on the hardware. Check your drivers. That is all I can think of right now. I get a better score on my 320 GB 2.5 HDD on my old 2007 Macbook with Windows 7 Home Premium.

I just checked my Macbook. It's just a 2.0Ghz C2D with Santa Rosa Chipset, 4GB RAM and a Seagate 320GB 2.5" Hard drive and I am getting 5.7 on the Windows 7 Index so something is wrong. Did you install ALL the drivers from Apple for Windows 7?

Curious, what brand and model is your SSD?

OP
M
Reaction score
That makes no sense as Parallels is emulation and Bootcamp is NATIVE Windows directly on the hardware. Check your drivers. That is all I can think of right now. I get a better score on my 320 GB 2.5 HDD on my old 2007 Macbook with Windows 7 Home Premium.

I just checked my Macbook. It's just a 2.0Ghz C2D with Santa Rosa Chipset, 4GB RAM and a Seagate 320GB 2.5" Hard drive and I am getting 5.7 on the Windows 7 Index so something is wrong. Did you install ALL the drivers from Apple for Windows 7?

Curious, what brand and model is your SSD?

Yeah I used the BootCamp Assistant to make a bootable USB which installed all the drivers as part of the Windows installation. I also installed all of the latest Windows updates including SP1.

The SSD I'm using is a Crucial M4 256GB running the latest firmware.

I've been playing around with Parellels and discovered I can exit out of Coherence mode which makes the experience much better IMO. I can actually live with this. Sorry, I'm new to OSX and I'm rushing into things without much research beforehand. The laptop I'm upgrading from is a 2006 ThinkPad and I can't contain my excitement because of the night-and-day difference in performance :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I just the other day installed Bootcamp with Win7 and it runs fine. Just to be sure everything was installed correct drivers and what not, get a USB and download Boot Camp Support Software 4.0.4255 specifically for your MBP 13" Mid 2012 and run it from Windows. This is a BIG must for everything to run fine, for you to get on-line and the keyboard is cross compatible with widows. IF your 100% positive you have this installed don't worry about it, but i would dl it run it anyways.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.