SuperDrive Screws

Reaction score
Hello there! If I remove the SuperDrive from my mid-2012 MBP 13", should I reattach the 3 screws or am I okay with leaving them off? Do they serve any other purpose other than securing the SuperDrive to the computer?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would replace the screws even if they're not used to hold anything in place. You never know when you may need them again. ;)

OP
M
Reaction score
Do these screws hold anything else together besides the SuperDrive though? Are they needed for proper grounding or anything like that?

My problem right now is that some of the screws on my bottom cover are on the verge of stripping so I don't want to risk opening up my computer just to replace the SuperDrive screws if I don't have to.

Will I be safe leaving the SuperDrive screws off until I get some replacement screws for my bottom cover and a better screwdriver (~1 month ship time from China)?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My problem right now is that some of the screws on my bottom cover are on the verge of stripping so I don't want to risk opening up my computer just to replace the SuperDrive screws if I don't have to.

If you're concerned about the screws on the bottom cover being on the verge of stripping...why even think of removing the Superdrive in the first place?? Just leave the Superdrive where it is...it's really not doing any harm!;)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
If you're concerned about the screws on the bottom cover being on the verge of stripping...why even think of removing the Superdrive in the first place?? Just leave the Superdrive where it is...it's really not doing any harm!;)

- Nick

I removed the bottom cover for the first time to install my SSD and it turned out my screwdriver was a bit too big and some of the screws began to strip. I'm going to install a secondary hard drive in place of the SuperDrive very soon so I just thought I'd save myself a little time by removing it too while I was at it. Then I started to wonder if those SuperDrive screws served any purpose other than holding the SuperDrive in place and started this thread lol.

Since it has been running fine all day now, I'm just going to assume that it's safe to leave the screws out until I get my screwdriver kit from China. Crossing my fingers...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.