Broken backlight 2008 Macbook, not inverter or lcd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Black Macbook with Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 ghz, 6GB ram, Crucial V4 256GB SSD
A bunch of weeks ago I decided to spend $150 to upgrade my LCD because my original LCD gave off a nauseating yellow hue. I install the LCD, but in the process pull a contact out of my inverter cable (which wasn't that secure to begin with). I order a used inverter cable and install it but there is no backlight. I remove the inverter and replace it with a known working inverter (both were tested on my mac before I installed the new LCD), and it still doesn't work. I remove the new LCD and replace it with the old LCD but there is still no backlight. I call for a replacement used inverter cable, get the new used one, and the backlight still doesn't work. I have ordered another replacement, this time a new inverter cable, but I am skeptical that this will work simply because of the probability of getting 2 bad inverter cables twice. My macbook has already been sitting open for four months now. I can use the computer just fine, so I doubt I fried anything on the logic board. I am completely perplexed as to what the issue could be. Any ideas? Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the new inverter cable doesn't restore the backlight, you might wish to take a look at the logic board layout for your 2008 model MacBook at iFixit: The free repair manual. It's my understanding that there is a small fuse or fuse - resistor that protects the inverter power circuit. If that blows, all the new inverters and cables are not going to work.

I don't know if the 2008 MacBook has that fuse but it does exist on some of the older model MacBook Pro machines that likewise used an inverter to provide power to the backlight. From late 2009 on... the backlight was changed to LEDs. No inverter required.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Black Macbook with Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 ghz, 6GB ram, Crucial V4 256GB SSD
Replaced the inverter cable with the new new one, still no go. While I was looking for some info on the logic board, stumbled across this thread on mac rumors with someone who says the A1181 models don't have a fuse, only the aluminum unibodies have them. Getting really discouraged here....I really don't want to pay someone $500 to fix whatever problem I have.

Or maybe there is: Someone on ifixit says by checking the connector at the logicboard for the inverter cable should have voltage. No voltage means it is the logic board. I'll have to find a volt meter and use the values posted in the mac rumors thread to test.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let us know what you find out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.