Clean install of 10.6 from USB drive (from install disk)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Late 2014, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Yosemite 10.10.3
Hey guys,

My Superdrive is broken and I need to Clean Install my new copy of Snow Leopard over 10.5.
I am trying to copy SL from the install disc to a USB drive, using another mac but can't find the Disk Image anywhere on the CD. If there is no Disk Image, what am I meant to drag to the "Source" field when Restoring the USB drive using DisK Utilities?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Also.. when erasing & re-formatting my MacHD before installing 10.6, which options should I choose; Mac OS Extended (Journaled), or GUID Partition option and what is the difference?
Whats the benefit of partitioning my drive also.

Ps, im using a Late 2008 MBP (unibody) 2.4ghz intel core duo

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Hey Harry,

During my clean install how should I erase & set up my drive? Do I partition it for best performance? Is so how exactly should I partition and what are the implications of doing this? What format shall I use; "os extended (journaled), (case sensitive), etc." I am using my mac prominently for music production & normal productivity/admin stuff.

many thanks,
Josh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well depends on what you want to save Josh. Formatting will wipe everything on the drive. May be best to back up to an external first using cloning software such as CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper if there is anything you want saved.

Boot from the flash drive by starting and hold down 'C' immediately after the chime, leave Installer and go to utilities > Disk utility and erase, format Mac OS Extended (Journaled), back to the Installer and run then update to OS X.6.8using the Combo Updater.

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1399

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well depends on what you want to save Josh. Formatting will wipe everything on the drive. May be best to back up to an external first using cloning software such as CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper if there is anything you want saved.

Boot from the flash drive by starting and hold down 'C' immediately after the chime, leave Installer and go to utilities > Disk utility and erase, format Mac OS Extended (Journaled), back to the Installer and run then update to OS X.6.8using the Combo Updater.

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1

Hi Harry,

I have made a Time Machine backup - is this sufficient?
If I have a 232GB HD with 68GB free, exactly what portion of it shall I partition for application use and how much for memory?

I know that when using just one partition it is advised to keep at least 20GB free so apps can run as fast as possible. How does this principal translate to a partitioned drive? Do I need to create my application partition 20GB larger than the current size of my Application folder?

josh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh see my response to your other post. Josh the problem is you need a larger hard drive. Remember the 15% free rule. Some say even 20-25%.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh see my response to your other post. Josh the problem is you need a larger hard drive. Remember the 15% free rule. Some say even 20-25%.

Thanks a lot Harry.. responded to ur other post

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.