First time sync. Lost Calendar Appts.

Reaction score
I have had my iPhone for 2 years, but never had a computer to back it up. I just inherited my wife's old Mac Book. Last night, I plugged the iPhone into the Mac Book to sync and back up the iPhone for the first time ever. Used iTunes. Accidentally had the box checked to "delete calendar appointments older than 30 days." Now, anything that I entered more than 30 days ago appears to be gone (including recurring appointments, and long-anticipated events that I entered months ago).

However, if I log in to my gmail, I can still see all of these deleted events in my google calendar (which I hadn't previously used). Is there a way that I can get them to show up on the Calendar program on my iPhone again? and on my Mac Book?

I'm new at this (syncing devices, etc.).
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
OP
V
Reaction score
two different sets of events

Thank you, mrplow. I haven't followed your recommendation yet, however, because I've since noticed that I have two different sets of appointments. My iPhone shows one set and my google calendar shows another. There doesn't seem to be any pattern that I can discern to which appointments ended up on which calendar. Please bear with me, as I said, I am new to syncing devices, but if I sync my iPhone with my google calendar as you suggest, will I lose the appointments that are in my iPhone? i.e., will it overwrite what is on my iPhone calendar with what is on my google calendar? or will it combine the two calendars into one calendar on my phone?

Thanks so much for your advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Which iPhone and version of iOS do you have?
You can go into Settings - General - About to check, if you don't know (it's model and version).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's quite a few versions back for the version of iOS you're running. You're only backup option is to use iTunes. So the first step is to connect to iTunes. Cancel any sync. Just right-click on your iphone in iTunes and choose backup.

Now you have a backup if anything goes wrong you can progress with the google calendar sync. As you go through you'll be given an option to keep you're existing data on your phone as you add google calendar data.

There are alternatives are to doing it this way. A manual way and an export from iCal to google. I can give details depending on which way you want to jump

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks, mrplow. I followed your instructions exactly, and it fixed the problem with my iPhone. My iPhone calendar now shows all the appointments I've created (the ones that show up on iCal, plus all of the appointments that were in my google calendar). However, iCal on my Mac Book still only shows a small subset of the total appointments (iCal only shows appointments created within the last 30 days.). I've synced the iPhone with the computer a couple of times now, and iCal still doesn't show everything that is on the iPhone calendar. What is the solution?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure what version of OSX you have but if you have the iCloud Panel in System Preferences this is what I'd suggest:
I'd disable the calendar syncing in iTunes.
Go to System Preferences - iCloud - Account
Add you google account here and choose to sync calendars

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.