best software option to retrieve files on mac?

Reaction score
Hey guys, what's the easiest and safest way to retrieve files and folders from a mac's HDD without having to take out the drive and connect to another mac please?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Is this on a system where the OS isn't working? If so, then your two options are the the ones you seem inclined not to do..

OP
M
Reaction score
Is this on a system where the OS isn't working?

Yes. I see, I am looking for a windows type alternative like Acronis or similar to boot off the unit's dvd drive to retrieve file and folders.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What version of OS X was running on this Mac? If Lion on-ward, you can hold down CMD+r during boot up to get into the Recovery partition to either re-install OS X. If prior to Lion, then you need the original OS X disc that came with the Mac to get anywhere...

But as far as running some sort of a recovery tool right out of the DVD, there are a few that you can purchase, but I don't know which one is good..

Perhaps other members have different ideas..

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the help info! I am now learning Mac "Software" repair and that is why I am looking into how to attack different problems with software so hopefully someone will chime in and can refer me to a known good recovery tool which they have actually used themselves. I never go by what reviews I am seeing on the net, I always try to seek out a reliable and trusted source first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.