Macbook Pro Failing To Boot :|

Reaction score
Hey guys. I literally just spent 45 minutes writing down exactly every little detail as to whats wrong with it, and went to preview it and it logged me out of the forums... so i'll basically put it into a nutshell.

I have the Late 2011 MacBook Pro 13" A1278 (2.4 Ghz Core i5 processor, 500 gb of space, 4gb of ram) I had recieved as a gift on Christmas, and just this morning it has refused to go any further than the grey booting screen.

First things first, i had gone into DU to verify and repair my drives, media drive was fine, go to verify and repair the HD drive, and I automatically get an error in red text in the detail box saying "invalid leaf record count" and the "invalid sibling link" and a error saying my drive is corrupt, try to repair the drive and scrolling text of "invalid node structure" and "invalid record count" My next idea of what to do was try to Safe boot it.

Booted into Verbose and Safe mode and let it run the diagnostic, same errors I got on the DU screen, along with "Macintosh HD could not be repaired. **** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED **** hfs: Runtine corruption detected on Macintosh HD, fsck will be forced on next mount, BootCacheControl: Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist: 2 No such file or directory, disk0s2: I/o error"

That was going no where so launched into Single User Mode and entered the fsck -fy command into the prompt and let it do its work. After all of that nonsense, I got the "FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED" error and tried the command again to no avail.

Next thing I had in mind was trying to reinstall Lion, but as I got to the installation part, it said my Recovery drive was locked. ***? :Confused:

The last thing I could've possibly thought of was resetting the NVRAM, only to have it sit there and try to boot for another 15 minutes straight.

If anyone could get back to me on this before I lose it and go to the Genius Bar and realize it could've been a home fix, I would be very appreciative.

-Jackson

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
With those drive errors can only recommend you replace the hard drive.

It is doable at home with walk throughs available at ifixit.com
Will suggest you head to OWC for a new drive.
Their DIY kits come with the screwdrivers you'll need, plus an external enclosure to put your removed hard drive in so that you can attempt to recover your data (in case you don't have a backup).

OP
D
Reaction score
With those drive errors can only recommend you replace the hard drive.

It is doable at home with walk throughs available at ifixit.com
Will suggest you head to OWC for a new drive.
Their DIY kits come with the screwdrivers you'll need, plus an external enclosure to put your removed hard drive in so that you can attempt to recover your data (in case you don't have a backup).

Thank you I appreciate it :Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.