iPod touch copies photos to my computer every time I plug in to recharge

Reaction score
This would be fine, except it is storing copies of the same photos. How do I persuade it to just copy the new photos?
Thanks

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm sorry to admit I don't know. I'm running Windows XP. And a small box pops up and says "copying". With a little camera icon.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Windows XP (and later versions of Windows) will automatically copies photos from a camera, an iPod Touch, an iPhone, etc. You can stop it from copying but off hand I don't remember how. To keep from copying the same photos again, remove the ones which have already been copied from the iPod Touch or just delete the dupes from Windows if you don't want to remove them from the Touch.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The Windows XP machine I use at work does not auto copy pics.
I use Picasa to import - don't have a clue if I changed some setting years ago or not, but I can check it out later today. And I've got a couple of other machines that have not had their default settings changed I can test also.

If you have not installed a photo management app on your Windows machine - would highly recommend you grab Picasa.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I'm not sure about XP, but in Windows 7, there's an AutoPlay section in the Control Panel.

Does a window pop up whenever you plug in a device asking you how you'd like to import files on them? If so, there should be a button near the bottom that says "Import Settings" where you can tell Windows not to auto import photos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I'm not sure about XP, but in Windows 7, there's an AutoPlay section in the Control Panel.

Does a window pop up whenever you plug in a device asking you how you'd like to import files on them? If so, there should be a button near the bottom that says "Import Settings" where you can tell Windows not to auto import photos.

^^This.

The first time the iPod Touch was connected that window would come up and the OP must have clicked on the option that automatically imports photos each time it is connected.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for reminding us about the "Auto Play" feature of Windows. I knew that it did it but could not remember what it was called or how to stop it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Forgot all about this once I got to work.

What I can find in XP, once you've already made a selection in the original dialogue, to change it you're going to have to plug in your iPhone - then head for:

Control Panel - Scanners and Cameras - right click on your iPhone in the list - select Properties - then go to the Events tab - change your selection

You can have it open whatever program you'd like when connected or have it take no action.

There's probably a way to change that without connecting your phone, but I didn't find it just on a quickie google search.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.