Upgrading the Video Card

Reaction score
Hey is it worth the extra money to upgrade the video card from 128Mb to the 256 Mb video card, will I notice much of a difference in things like watching dvd's/movies, digital photography/editing. I read something about having 2 monitors how does this work and will I be able to do it with only the 128Mb video card and do i need any additional software or cables to do it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
what kind of computer?
yes it does make a difference in photography/editing, but wont' make much of a difference in watching dvds..
it also helps with the dual monitor situation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
When you're using dual monitors, your video card splits the video RAM between the two monitors. It'll help your graphics performance significantly in this department. You'll get a much higher framerate when working with video and such (people really make a big deal out of it when ripping DVDs with Handbrake). Where it makes the most difference, though, is newer games.

P.S., MAC is not an acronym, and should not be all caps. iMac will do just fine. :p

OP
T
Reaction score
lol thanks, well i decided to go with the 256 Mb video card because it wasn't very expensive to upgrade it and i figured i mideswell since we are planning on having this computer for while

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Meyvn said:
P.S., MAC is not an acronym, and should not be all caps. iMac will do just fine. :p

Actually MAC is an acronym. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address for a little detail.

What you actually meant to say is the iMac only has one capital letter. That being the M. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The term Mac is short for Macintosh. You are Correct, MAC does mean something else.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.