Digital squares at reboot on grey screen

Reaction score
Hello,

I keep getting a couple of big digital squares when I reboot and Im wondering what is going on, perhaps a bad graphics card maybe bad ram. Its on or two big squares about 5 inches across with a band of blue stripes inside those squares. It only lasts about 1 sec when I restart its on the grey screen. I have been plugging in my mac book pro to a samsung HD tv but I have the correct connectors and its been working just fine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a screen shot

Steve

Screen Shot 2013-04-09 at 5.14.53 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks like either a bad connector adapter or cable. Swap them out to see if the same occurs.

OP
S
Reaction score
Digital squares

Do you mean adapter cable to the HD tv? or a power adapter. This happens with no cables and no power adapter. running off of battery

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I must have misunderstood your original post. I thought this was happening only when the Samsung TV was plugged in.

If it's happening with your MacBook Pro stand alone, then it could be a graphics problem. Tell us which MacBook Pro you have, year and model. Also which version of OS X it's running.

OP
S
Reaction score
Didital Squares

Sorry I can sometimes type like a cave man. Its a MacBook Pro 15 inch Late 2011
Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1333 MHz, Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB,
Software is OS X 10.8.3

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, thanks for posting back with the specs. Is your MacBook Pro still under warranty? (Covered by Apple Care.) If it's under warranty, take it on in to your local Apple store and let the genius bar look at it. If it's not under warranty, you might still let Apple diagnosis the problem but be sure to get an estimate of repair cost first.

You might also wish to run the Apple Hardware Test on your MBP to see what if anything it comes up with. See the following Apple KB article: LINK

OP
S
Reaction score
Digital Squares

Hey thanks alot for that link that is really helpful! So I ran the test and it found nothing wrong, is this a software issue? Seems like a graphics card issue to me

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It looks like a hardware issue but it's not easy to determine. Try starting your MacBook Pro up in Safe Mode and let me know if it does the same thing. To start in Safe Mode, hold down your shift key as soon as you hear the startup sound and until the Apple appears.

Safe boot mode disables all third party drivers and startup apps. It also runs a verify on the hard drive and disables system sound.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.