Am I nuts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD
I just bit the bullet and picked up a 12" 1.33 Ghz iBook refurb from the Apple online store. I'm sure they'll be releasing the Intel iBooks (or macbooks or whatever name they're gonna give em) in April...but I needed a laptop for school now, and I know the G4 warts and all, and I know the iBook in its current incarnation. I just like the iBook the way it stands now...I even like it over the 12" PB...lesser video chip or not. I like the white polycarbonate look and the nice form factor and battery life. I'm thinking about throwing in a Pioneer DVR-K05, 1 GB of RAM, and a Hitachi 80 GB 7200 RPM drive in it...I think that'll make it one little screamer of an iBook for right at $350 :) (Heck...that's basically what I did with my Mac mini). I guess my question is this...do you think it's crazy to buy a G4 iBook now knowing its limited current lifespan and with what we now about the released Intel powered Macs?

N

nfs2

I dont think its all that limited. Software will still be compatable for it for some time to come.

It may be april before they release an intel iBook, but i know i wont want to buy one untill rev b or c next year, and by then 3rd party software will run nativley on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
just think about this: what will the visible differences be?

nothing really!

(just more money)

Reaction score
I think it is a great time to buy, like I stated in another thread, I think the last revisions of the PPC iBooks will hold their value well due to the large number of people that are hesitant about switching to intel.

I have a feeling when they go to the intel 'iBooks' that they will be a re-design. The overall look of the iBook hasn't changed in a long time.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD
I dunno...but some of the rumor sites are hinting at a slight price reduction...at least compared to the 14" model.

N

Nycelle

I just did exactly the same thing (still hasn't arrived, though. . . stupid UPS!).

If you wanted it, you aren't nuts :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.